Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
510 Views 5 Replies Last post: Dec 6, 2017 3:08 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 110 posts since
Apr 26, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2017 2:52 PM

How to use Canva.com as a cover

I know this:

1) You an use canva.com to create a book cover (paperback or e-book)

2) You can download a template on CS to fit the size of your book and you insert/upload your canva.com pdf and voila! a book cover.

However...

I designed a front cover and a back. However, they are separate images (or on two separate pages in a pdf file). How do I get a 2-pg pdf "into" the CS template?

How do I design a spine? (Do I design it on canva.com? how? or CS...? or..?

I wish it were as easy as click, drag, drop, book cover but somehow the rubber isn't meeting the road here. I'm also new to canva.com so perhaps that is the issue, but their design software seems intuitive even for dummies like myself.

Many thanks to those sticking with me in all my issues with technology. I might be a digital native, but I'm the village idiot....but quick to learn if shown the way.

Level 4 2,521 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Nov 30, 2017 3:41 PM in response to: gdavies
Re: How to use Canva.com as a cover

Have you read CreateSpace's cover documentation? It can be found at Books (tab at top of page) -> Publish a Trade Paperback -> Cover. It demonstrates how to construct a cover, including calculating spine thickness. By the way, the cover templates from Bookow are much better than CreateSpace's.

Feb 7, 2015
3. Nov 30, 2017 10:13 PM in response to: gdavies

I'm not familiar with Canva, but surely it will allow you to create a single image the width of back cover + spine + front cover? Assuming it will, you should download a cover template from Bookow and load it into Canva. Then simply overlay the individual PDFs in their respective postitions, combining them on top of the template. If Canva isn't capable of that, you'll need to use Photoshop, GIMP, or another program that has the capability.

Feb 7, 2015
5. Dec 6, 2017 3:08 PM in response to: gdavies

If you're willing to give GIMP a try, forum guru Walton has a downloadable PDF titled "Make Your Own Cover," a step-by-step tutorial that shows how to create a cover with GIMP.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...