Skip navigation
1,113 Views 13 Replies Last post: Dec 7, 2017 8:05 PM by ClaraBee RSS
Level 0 18 posts since
Jan 5, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2017 7:27 AM

KDP vs. Createspace for eBook / Support Available

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can offer me some insight.  I have just published my book on Createspace, successfully with no hitches.  I found the Createspace support via phone to be absolutely amazing.  I'm now ready to upload the kindle version and have set up a KDP account to do so.  I have 2 questions:

1. I have so far had 3 issues/queries that I submitted to KDP via their contact form (no phone number available from what I understand).  I have received zero response.  Nothing whatsoever.  I've now just submitted a fourth one because I'm having an issue submitting the .mobi file.  It previews beautifully on the kindle previewer, the ePub validator found no issues, and I can open the file perfectly on my tablet and phone.  I've received no response from KDP at all.  It's been a week since the first contact submission.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I mean, what on earth is someone supposed to do if they need help?  They seem completely non-responsive.

2. This being the case, should I simply submit my file through Createspace?  I'm not sure what to do.  Several forum posters said this was not a good idea, but what other options are there?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated...

Level 5 4,256 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Dec 5, 2017 7:34 AM in response to: Dragonryder
Re: KDP vs. Createspace for eBook / Support Available

Dragonryder wrote:

This being the case, should I simply submit my file through Createspace?  I'm not sure what to do.  Several forum posters said this was not a good idea, but what other options are there?

That would be a desperate measure. Authors have reported uneven formatting of Kindle texts submitted via CreateSpace. If you are not in a hurry, why not keep tinkering with the file to find out what is causing the problem? I sometimes do trials using parts of files to see whether I can isolate a problem through a process of elimination.

Oct 27, 2010
3. Dec 5, 2017 7:53 AM in response to: Dragonryder

I gave up on KDP years ago, so I may not be the best character reference.

One of the other visitors to this forum swears by Jutoh. Many use Sigil for fine-tuning of the HTML. It's what I used to use too.

Actually, you have other submission paths - via aggregators. They may be worth considering, too, since they give more immediate feedback on code viability.

Level 0 100 posts since
May 31, 2017
5. Dec 5, 2017 11:00 AM in response to: Dragonryder

CreateSpace will forward your cover to KDP, and your file, BUT they convert it from PDF to whatever KDP wants, and the result is a mess. I did it once and had to go back through my book and totally re-do the format. It wasn't worth the effort, and I have since deleted it.

Level 4 2,740 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
6. Dec 5, 2017 11:29 AM in response to: Maaku

Maaku wrote:

One of the other visitors to this forum swears by Jutoh.

You rang? I have nothing but good things to say about Jutoh. And I could find fault with the baby Jesus. ("That kid's eyes are a little close set, don't you think?")

Oct 27, 2010
7. Dec 5, 2017 4:07 PM in response to: Dragonryder

Aggregators:

I know SmashWords is still going. Booktango was good while it lasted but is now closed to new submissions. I've heard people talk about Bookbaby and Draft2Digital, but I don't know whether these are still operating either. I hope someone who knows will pop in and fill you in. As I said, I am a bit of an ebook curmudgeon.

Finally, if in doubt, google. Here's a sample of what <kindle aggregators> gave me:

http://www.publishyourownebooks.com/ebook-aggregators-comparison-chart/

Level 5 15,543 posts since
May 4, 2008
8. Dec 5, 2017 4:42 PM in response to: Maaku

I don't think Smashwords submits to Amazon for Kindle. Bookbaby charge $300 per title, even if you supply a valid ePub/Mobi. D2D is supposed to be good.

I was using Pronoun, but they're not taking any new customers as they're shutting down in January. So now I'm moving my list to Streetlib.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Feb 7, 2015
9. Dec 5, 2017 7:34 PM in response to: Maaku

Maaku wrote:

I've heard people talk about Bookbaby and Draft2Digital, but I don't know whether these are still operating either. I hope someone who knows will pop in and fill you in.

Don't know about Bookbaby, but Draft2Digital is indeed operating. In fact, as of last month D2D distributes to Amazon. I plan to stick with KDP, however.

Level 4 2,669 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
10. Dec 6, 2017 5:06 AM in response to: Dragonryder

Try Streetlib.  I have found them to be excellent.  They distribute to KDP and pretty much everywhere else.  They also do both ebooks and paperbacks.   Everything is free if you format using their online tools.   One surprising thing: they provide a free ISBN AND allow you to choose your own publisher imprint.

They have neat analytics - you can generate reports based on any variable - author, retailer, platform, country.   Royalty payment is smooth.

Best of all, when you write to ask a question a nice human being answers you.

Stacy

Level 1 61 posts since
Aug 7, 2011
11. Dec 6, 2017 6:36 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

I noticed you wrote that you were going to stick with KDP. Draft2Digital looks interesting and possibly a good match for me. And they even distribute to Amazon for only $.99. They distribute to others at no charge. Have you had any experience with them, and I'm asking specifically about their end product?

I'm wondering about the quality of their ebooks. Thanks for sharing this information.

Feb 7, 2015
12. Dec 6, 2017 8:25 PM in response to: ClaraBee

I use Draft2Digital to distribute everywhere except Amazon, where I use KDP. The quality of the ebook they distribute depends solely on the quality of the ePUB you upload.

Level 1 61 posts since
Aug 7, 2011
13. Dec 7, 2017 8:05 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Thank you for replying. I totally understand that answer 100%.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...