Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

882 Views 11 Replies Last post: Apr 2, 2018 10:17 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 35 posts since
Sep 4, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2017 6:54 AM

Inconsistent file reviews

After checking a printed proof I had to tweak a few interior photos. I did this and re-uploaded, Createspace approved this but are now saying there is a problem with the cover 'not enough bleed' This is NOT true, it's the same cover that was already approved, I have the printed proof book in front of me and it has trimmed PERFECT, even the publisher logo on the spine is right in the middle. I designed the cover so as not to lose anything on the cover design after trim, and nothing is, like mentioned the printed proof is in front of me. There is a white border then the rest designed so nothing is lost that matters on the design. I download their template - for the size and page count of my book - and my cover sits perfectly on this. This is maddening and it seems every other time you re-upload something with elements that have proved to be ok, this time the Createspace team decideds to now not allow it??!!
Level 3 342 posts since
Feb 11, 2016
1. Dec 6, 2017 7:57 AM in response to: Spiritualized
Re: Inconsistent file reviews

The reviews are done by human reviewers. Sometimes, one reviewer may catch something that is wrong while another may not catch it.  In other cases, a reviewer may identify something as wrong when it is actually right.  I have had both situations happen to me.

If you know it is right, simply reupload your files and resubmit.  If your file needs to be fixed, then fix it, reupload and resubmit.

Level 5 13,069 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Dec 6, 2017 10:01 AM in response to: Spiritualized

Two comments:

1. I reported in another thread that we had submitted over 1700 files for review here without any flags or rejections whatsoever (so we do know what we're doing) -- but then suddenly two weeks ago, we had 3 different files rejected. Like you, I was certain there was nothing wrong, so I waited a day and resubmitted. All were accepted, leading me to believe this was likely an issue internal to CreateSpace (e.g., a lack of training or the layoffs associated with the closing of the print facility in SC).

2. In the past, most human reviewers seemed to either ignore (or reset) incorrect PDF page boxes, but that may not be the case any longer. Consequently, even if the PDF page size and crop box are correct, if other page boxes are set incorrectly or nested improperly it could result in a problem during the human review. We've encountered this with several of the downloaded cover templates -- the cover itself is the right size, but the page boxes in the downloaded template are not, which throws off the dimensions used by design software and results in a PDF that (in terms of the internal page box geometry) does not have enough bleed (even though visually it is perfect). So the page box dimensions might be something to check in your file. If you don't have Acrobat to do this, you can at least look at them graphically in Adobe Reader by selecting the page display option to show art, trim, and bleed boxes.

Level 1 119 posts since
Feb 16, 2014
5. Dec 6, 2017 10:46 PM in response to: Spiritualized

The bleed may be perfect. But, as Createspace has written to me earlier this week, they now want you to bleed on every single page, you must not have images anywhere that don't, and even chapter headings have to bleed or some moron will reject your file like mine was rejected, four times. Attribute it to the extraordinary incompetence of their staff.

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
7. Dec 7, 2017 4:29 AM in response to: Spiritualized

Why did you leave Lulu to come to Createspace?

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
9. Dec 7, 2017 10:29 AM in response to: Spiritualized

Yes, that's certainly a big advantage.

Level 0 19 posts since
Apr 26, 2015
10. Apr 2, 2018 9:07 AM in response to: Spiritualized

fyi, I've had the exact same problems. I tweek something tiny (that doesn't effect the formatting at all) and have to go back through the whole process again. It's frustrating. That said, at least they're not charging for each "change" (as Ingram Spark does) but still...it takes a LOT of time.

I'm actually frustrated with the POD world right now because I just don't have control over the print quality. I'm doing children's picture books so color that anemic or pics that are a bit fuzzy is particularly annoying. We work so have to make the artwork "just so" and it doesn't come out that way. I've ordered several sets of proofs from CS and several from Ingram Spark and I'm still not entirely happy.

What quantity would one need to print to consider offset? I'm looking forward to the book that I feel confident about (next book?) where I can order 1,000 plus copies and do offset. Right now, I'm just doing "20-30 copies for family and friends" type printing. It's disappointing though as at small quantities, you want them to look perfect.

Does LuLu or someother POD printer do a better job with print quality? I'd be willing to pay a bit more for more control over the quality of the final product.

Blab, blab, blab....I'm sure many of us are in the same boat.

P.S. The files I print at home look MUCH better than the books I've had POD and I jjust have a little HP Officejet printer. Of course, it prints only 8-1/2-11 sheets and I don't have the binding capabilities. ARGH!

Happy almost Spring!

J

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Apr 2, 2018 10:17 AM in response to: jenner

Generally, you need to order 1000 to 2000 copies.  Some offset printer could print 1 copy but the unit cost will have to pay for film and plates, press time, etc.

If you want to do 1000 books, I'd say look to Chinese printers, for example OGP, http://.www.ogprinting.com/, which now appears to have changed its name to 1010.  I've used them, and their quality, prices, etc. are great.

Or, check out 360Digital (https://360digitalbooks.com/  )  I have not used them. But from what I've read, they have a minimum order, maybe around 25.  They offer many many more choices over any of the POD printers.  They can hand fulfillment, especially with Amazon Advantage.  360Digital, which is now part of Whitlock, is a digital printer.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated   CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully   illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type   & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics,   design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...