Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
484 Views 3 Replies Last post: Dec 7, 2017 3:51 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 8 posts since
Jan 30, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2017 10:01 AM

Order of steps approved on CS then copyright?

Hi,

I plan to have my book copyrighted, but I'm wondering, in what order should this occur?

I don't want to get it copyrighted if I have to change it; so get approval to sell it from CS, then send manuscript to be copyrighted?

Does anyone know whether the copyright office provides language for your publisher's page?

If the book is copyrighted and I add language to the publisher's page, then I have to resubmit my update to CS again, best practice???

Any help with this part of the process is appreciated!

Thanks!

Level 2 127 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
1. Dec 7, 2017 8:52 AM in response to: Crikey
Re: Order of steps approved on CS then copyright?

This has been answered, but to summarize:

You put the copyright notice inside, typically on the back of the title page. (C) 2017 John Doe   is sufficient (use the actual copyright symbol not c between parentheses) but you can add more language.  Look inside books you have for examples.  Doing this "copyrights" your book and puts the world on notice that it is protected by copyright.  Registering your copyright provides additional protection, and costs under $100 (I forget the exact amount.)  Go to copyright.loc.gov for info and forms.  You'll also have to send two printed copies when you apply.  It will take many months to get back a certificate (or you'll get an email asking you to correct errors in your application before it can be processed.  That's it.

Level 5 13,065 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Dec 7, 2017 9:41 AM in response to: Crikey

In the USA, an original work is protected by copyright the moment you fix it in tangible form (such as a manuscript). If you want the added protection of registering the copyright for a published work, you can do that at any point. However, once you complete the registration process, you will have 90 days to submit two copies of the "best edition" of the work (i.e., you'll send two copies of the actual book to the Copyright Office). For that reason, I usually register the copyright when I am ready to submit files and begin the review and proof process.

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Dec 7, 2017 3:51 PM in response to: Crikey

Just to add a bit . . .

As Lighthouse said, your work is copyrighted at the moment of its creation in tangible form.  Neither registration nor notice (e.g. © 2017 John Doe, or Copyright 2017 John Doe, or Copr. 2017 John Doe) is a requirement for copyright.

Having the notice is, however, virtually free; and it is accepted as prima facia evidence that a work is not in public domain.  Including a notice does not require you to register the work.  Registration does give you certain benefits if there were an infringement suit and you prevail.  It does not absolutely guarantee you'll prevail.  It establishes that someone, purportedly you, registered a work, purportedly the work in question, on a specific day at a specific time.  Many countries, like Australia, do not have a governmental copyright office.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...