This discussion is archived
436 Views 2 Replies Last post: Dec 7, 2017 4:21 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2017 6:53 AM

Help with formatting a 5 x 8 template

Hi,

I have used CS multiple times and always struggle with the formatting. Currently, I am revising an older book and trying to upload it into a CS 5 x 8 formatted template.

I am having trouble with spacing...for example...my Acknowledgement page is way down at the bottom of the page and I can't move it into the proper position. If I hit backspace, it flies up to the bottom of the next page. The same with the Dedication page.

I am not tech savvy and don't understand why this seems to be my major issues with using the formatted templates.

Could someone please help?

Thanks so much for your time!

Lisa

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Dec 7, 2017 9:27 AM in response to: Butterfly18
Re: Help with formatting a 5 x 8 template

I don't know what software you're using, so I am going to assume that it's MS-Word.  Go into Page Setup while your cursor is in an area that is messed up and then check Layout - Vertical Alignment - make sure it says "Top".

Dan'l

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Dec 7, 2017 4:21 PM in response to: Butterfly18
Re: Help with formatting a 5 x 8 template

If things work for you, great.  Be aware that these templates are often corrupt or corrupt easily.  Make copies of your files, save often, make new copies to work on.  I rename my files: my_book_rev001.doc, my_book_rev002.doc, my_book_rev003.doc . . .  Yes, you can look at the file date/time, but sometimes that can be off, like when you move files to new drives.

I have had books from templates where my clients inadvertantly typed one or more paragraphs of text in an extra large header and fixing the file was a nightmare.  Turn on show hidden, ¶.  This might help avoid some problems.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...