This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
10,498 Views 8 Replies Last post: Oct 21, 2008 6:21 PM by Elle RSS
Level 0 11 posts since
Jun 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 18, 2008 12:55 PM

How to Create a Flyer for a Book Signing

I have my first book signing scheduled in 3 weeks at a local branch of a major national bookstore chain.  They have asked me to provide 100 bag stuffers to promote the book signing.  I plan to make 6"X4" cards and I know I need to have an image of the book cover, a blurb about the book, and an author bio (and maybe a picture).  I've never done this before and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a way to lay out the flyer.  Can anyone point me to an example of a book signing flyer?  I'm having trouble getting started.  I plan to use www.nextdayflyers.com to print them up, as they did a great job with my bookmarks and their prices are very reasonable.

I appreciate any help!

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
1. Oct 18, 2008 12:59 PM in response to: Elle
Re: How to Create a Flyer for a Book Signing

You will need a graphic software like photoshop or free one like gimp/paint.net to design it.

If you do not have any technical knowledge, you can hire a graphic designer to do it for you.

Even I can do it for a reasonable price, if you desire. Check my works below. These are just covers but you can guess the quality of work.

http://rapidshare.com/files/155023733/my_works.zip

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
3. Oct 18, 2008 1:25 PM in response to: Elle

What you are asking is a designing process itself, which cannot be explained. You need to learn it by trial and error.

Just google and you will find many designed flyers, even look at the site your are going to print from.

Design depends on the view of author itself.

I don't know how many have actually created flyers, I don't for my books as I am living in India ( can't distribute in US), but I design for others.

Maybe someone else can help you in this.

Level 5 11,780 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Oct 18, 2008 2:34 PM in response to: Elle

You mentioned making 6x4 cards - how about doing postcards? The front can be a full colour image of the cover (you may have to crop a little if the dimensions don't fit exactly). On the back include a photo of yourself (about the same size as a postage stamp) in the top left corner, then wrap the text around this and flow down the left column. Text should include details of the event and a short para on what your book is about.

Leave the right hand side of the back of the postcard for the sender to fill in. As you are not posting these, but distributing them as bag stuffers, this gives the recipient an easy way to invite someone else to come along too.

Level 1 11 posts since
Oct 13, 2008
5. Oct 18, 2008 2:44 PM in response to: Elle

There's really no right or wrong way to design a flyer. If you decide to take this on yourself, searching the web for sample ideas would be a good start and may help you get the process going.

In our design projects, we try to think of the overlying goal - is it to spark interest? to get the customer to your website? or maybe to make a seperate purchase affiliated with your product- like a tshirt?

The most important thing to consider when designing is your target audience and the product you are promoting. You just want to make sure you have a clear and consistent message communicated in your design..

Level 1 85 posts since
Jul 18, 2008
7. Oct 20, 2008 9:46 PM in response to: Elle

I'm a little late in replying; I'm very sorry.  I wanted to show you something that might help you.

http://www.booksurge.com/category/8945799381/1/Sell-Sheets.htm   Click on the image of the sell sheet and a pdf will open so you can see it in more detail.  On booksurge's pages there are some really helpful examples. Just copy the look, and you'll be good to go.

Aisha

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...