Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
298 Views 4 Replies Last post: Dec 26, 2017 5:54 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 110 posts since
Apr 26, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 24, 2017 3:03 PM

How should I order events in a family saga?

I am just starting to write a family saga which spans 5 generations.

Not to give to much away, but the oldest generation's matriarch (let's say 1st gen) adopted her granddaughter (gen 3) but her daughter was raised believing her grandmother was simply an adopted mother.

So the matriarch (gen 1) finally tells her "daughter" (gen 3) the truth at some point in the story, along with her (gen 1's) life story.

So should my story begin with the matriarch (gen 1) divulging her secret/life story, or should I begin with gen 3's story, or gen 2's story or...?

Level 4 2,578 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Dec 24, 2017 7:15 PM in response to: gdavies
Re: How should I order events in a family saga?

You need to hook the reader, so I'd begin with a zeppelin explosion, which the matriarch narrowly survives, only to be attacked by a giant lizard.

Level 3 737 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
3. Dec 26, 2017 1:34 PM in response to: gdavies

I think you missed the point offered by the revered Lorem Ipsum. He was not boasting, he was pointing out that your question can only be answered by yourself. We have no benchmark from which to make a comparison on which approach to take. Just write it first and edit afterward is the best method. Only once it is completed can you begin to dissect and analyse. Tell your story.

Joe.

Level 5 4,220 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
4. Dec 26, 2017 5:54 PM in response to: gdavies

Which might be most gripping:

1. Grandmother thinks 'should I tell her or shouldn't I?', 'now or wait a bit?' OK, I'll tell her now. Phew.
  2. Granddaughter is happily relaxing on the porch when 'mother' says, ...drum roll... 'there's something I need to tell you.'
  3. 'Older sister' thinks her secret is safe, but little does she know 'younger sister' is burning with resentment that she had to find out that way.
  4. Well, there was this family that took the not unheard-of step of pretending an illegitimate child was just a 'late arrival'.

Votes please.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...