Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,296 Views 8 Replies Last post: Dec 30, 2017 7:53 AM by auntie-jan RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 21, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 22, 2017 10:12 AM

Stuck - Need help

I've had the goal of writing and publishing books for years, however I just can't figure out where to start. Can provide me with some guidace?

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Nov 22, 2017 10:29 AM in response to: ninablanca
Re: Stuck - Need help

It would be best to start with the writing.

Dan'l

Level 5 5,668 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Nov 22, 2017 10:29 AM in response to: ninablanca

Click Books above, then Publish a Trade Paperback. Read everything on every tab there. Come here with specific questions.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 18, 2017
3. Dec 24, 2017 5:59 AM in response to: ninablanca

Have you a theme?

Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 21, 2017
4. Dec 27, 2017 3:16 PM in response to: ninablanca

Just sit down and start writing. Write something you know about. One paragraph, one page a day doesn't matter but write. Gradually you will come round to rolling out the pages. Don't pay attention to how perfect the initial pages are. The most important thing is having the love to write. It's not enough to dream about reaching the top of a mountain while sitting at the bottom and listening to those who have climbed it tell you of their experiences. Experience it yourself and if you really love to write, the satisfaction will be unprecedented.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. Dec 27, 2017 4:07 PM in response to: ninablanca

The world is a complicated place right now.  Think of some of the problems, how would you solve them?

Level 0 14 posts since
Jul 2, 2015
6. Dec 27, 2017 6:00 PM in response to: ninablanca

Hello ninablanca,

I have been there before many times where you are at.  You may have a case of the writer's block.  I am sure you have heard of it.  I also had problems writing and finding out what I wanted to write about.  To truly tap into your potential, you have to find out what are you passionate about.  Do you like romance, scifi, futuristic stuff?  What is something that you feel like, "WOW, I definitely need to write about this!" It is inside you, and I am sure you will find it soon.  Just don't stress about it.  I just finished writing my book and publishing it as well.  It took me about 10 years to do this.  Talk about ****, why so long?  This is due to the ups and downs of life and letting a lot of stuff get to me and overcoming that writer's block as well.  Once I managed to get over those things, I was able to focus all the way until I finished.  My advice to you is to look at videos on YouTube on how to overcome writer's block, even if you feel you may not have that.  If you are searching for your inner passion, go to Barnes and Nobles and hang out in a popular section.  Read some books and get motivation.  Ask others around what their interest are? It doesn't have to be that bookstore in particular, it could be any bookstore.  Truthfully, no one can tell you what you should and should not do, you will eventually find that on your own, but every little thing helps.  This is the path of a writer.  It may be tough, but in the end, it will be rewarding.  I am curious as to what you would write about.  The greatest stories ever are the ones that are told and written, and your idea can impact many.  Give it your all!  Feel what is it that drives your passion to write.

Other than that, I truly wish you the best for your journey.  Feel free to hit me up anytime if you need advice.

Level 0 1,611 posts since
Jan 15, 2009
7. Dec 29, 2017 1:32 PM in response to: ninablanca

I find the easiest way to find a starting point is to just start putting words down on that "blank page," start with thoughts, you might start with a short story that pops into your head after seeing a news story, start writing about something someone has told you about their life that you find interesting.  Think of a childhood event you feel strongly about (joy, fear, any emotion it might evoke). One place to start is an excercise where you take a walk in your neighborhood and describe in depth what you see, feel, smell, and hear (use all of your senses).  Fortunately I live in an area where I can walk in the woods and commune with nature.  If you live in the city, that works just as well.  You might find the idea for a story anywhere..  Once you start to place words on that "blank page" ideas might sprout for something you want to write about, a story you might want to tell, whether yours or someone else's, whether real or fictional. The starting point is merely putting words down in sentences, paragraph, and sooner or later it will equal pages.  Don't worry about making it perfect.  Anything you write can be embellished and polished later if you decide you'd like to make it into a story for others to read.  Waste baskets were made for a reason (I come from the stoneage when we actually used pencils to put those words down on paper).  You can throw away what doesn't fit, and add to what does at any time.  The time of computers makes it so much easier than the days of spiral binders and notebook paper! The key is merely to write, write, write!!!  Write whatever comes into your mind.

Level 0 12 posts since
Apr 25, 2012
8. Dec 30, 2017 7:53 AM in response to: ninablanca

Good morning.  If you are thinking of writing fiction you might have a look at How to Write a **** Good Novel by James Frey.  Unlike many books on the subject that advise us to begin writing by beginning to write, it provides a logical structure into which you can fit your characters and plot.  Also, it's an entertaining read.  I went through it first for enjoyment and then a second time for instruction.  On the second pass I took notes and ended up with a nice tidy outline for novel writing.  If I get stuck turning the outline into words, paragraphs, and pages I sometimes "speak" a troublesome passage to my self on a handheld recorder.  Helps a lot with sequence of events issues.   Best of luck to you on achieving your writing goals and Happy New Year.      

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...