Skip navigation
466 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jan 6, 2018 11:22 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Jan 2, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2018 1:24 PM

Optimum artwork size in Photoshop for a Landscape Children's Book?

I am creating artwork in Adobe Photoshop, and laying out a childfren's book in Adobe InDesign.  I am trying to figure out the ideal size, in pixels, for creating the original art in Phoroshop.

Can anybody point me in te right direction?  I am sure there are the guidelines I need in here somewhere.... just all a bit daunting for a beginner.

Thanks very much!

Level 5 19,501 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jan 3, 2018 3:53 PM in response to: Luxartist
Re: Optimum artwork size in Photoshop for a Landscape Children's Book?

I think the easiest way to think about this is this: if you want an image to be 4 x 6 at 300 dpi, that's what you set the image size to.  Change the units from pixels to inches.  Set the resolution to 300 dpi (ppi is the more correct unit).  That's it.  Don't worry about pixel dimensions.

If your images bleed, then either set the InDesign file to the exact page size with a a 0.125" bleed 3 sides, or add the bleed to the page size.  Set things to facing, so you see pages 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 . . . as spreads.

Remember that although you can resize images inside InDesign, the resolution will change.  If the image is increased in size the resolution will drop, if you reduce the size of the image, the resolution will increase.  If you don't make the images the exact size you need, then it is safer to make them bigger and reduce them to fit.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,501 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Jan 6, 2018 11:22 AM in response to: Luxartist
Re: Optimum artwork size in Photoshop for a Landscape Children's Book?

I think the only real problem with landscape format is the limited sizes available, 6 x 8.5 to 8.49 x 8.5 (whatever you want that is just under square). The only restriction regard size other than the given limits, is that only a few sizes qualify for Extended Distribution, but otherwise all sizes can appear on Amazon.

There was a more interesting issue for several years said landscape books had to be oriented so that when you looked at them the text/images were turned 90°, clockwise, and the books were to be "top bound."  You might think this means, the binding is along the top.  Silly you.  According to TechSupport, "In printing, 'top bound' means binding along the left hand, long, vertical edge."

You might wonder how I found this out, and what choice and civil words I might have uttered both preceeding and following this remarkable revelation.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...