This discussion is archived
598 Views 4 Replies Last post: Jan 7, 2018 2:24 PM by AFS_Poetry RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Dec 29, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2017 6:25 AM

Confused about bleed for 5.5" x 8.5" book cover

Heyy guys,

I don't understand the instructions for adding bleed to the front cover.

First of all, do the bleed calculations apply to the front cover and the back cover seperately, or once they are combined.

My book has 121 pages and is 5.5" x 8.5", I'd be hugely grateful if somebody could do the calculation for me and explain the size my cover needs to be in very simple step by steps please, I really struggle to understand this stuff.

Thanks in advance,

AFS

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Dec 31, 2017 7:08 AM in response to: AFS_Poetry
Re: Confused about bleed for 5.5" x 8.5" book cover

It's easier for me, and you, if you go to bookow.com, and put the figures in. You'll get a template to download and I won't have to ask what paper you're using.

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Jan 2, 2018 9:56 AM in response to: AFS_Poetry
Re: Confused about bleed for 5.5" x 8.5" book cover

Take a look at Make Your Own Cover, a free 30-page PDF tutorial on how to make covers, with step by step screen shots.  It uses a free Bookow template and GIMP, although most graphics programs would work exactly as shown.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...