Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
782 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jan 9, 2018 10:53 AM by awin RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 5, 2018 6:37 AM

No title on cover- I don't want one

I publish writing journals, with inspirational quotes and sometimes graphics on the interior lined pages. During previous uploads, I've been dinged because the title of the book hasn't been on the front cover, so I started writing the title on the cover and I don't think it's nearly as cute as it would be without it.  As a consumer of writing journals, I'd rather have simply the image on the cover, rather than the words "Sunset journal," for example.  I recently came across another journal seller on Amazon who is also using CreateSpace to publish her journals (his?) and their covers don't have the title. So why must mine? How is this seller getting around that rule?

Here's a link to the other seller's page, in case that helps anyone answer the question:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&field-author=Express+Yourself+Journals&search-alias=books&text=Express+Yourself+Journals&sort=relevancerank

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jan 5, 2018 8:46 AM in response to: SeattleLisa
Re: No title on cover- I don't want one

The PDF Submission Specification guide say on page 10:

The entire title must appear in the account and on the front cover or spine

I would interpret that to mean that the title could appear on the front cover, or it could appear on the spine . . . but it must appear on one or the other.

Assuming this is correct, this like other policy changes sometimes take months to filter through the reviewers.  See what other people say.  Then contact CustomerService if you think the policy has been wrongly applied.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 2 182 posts since
Sep 15, 2015
2. Jan 5, 2018 12:32 PM in response to: SeattleLisa

You can put the title on the spine. I do

It's no problem and my books are reviewed in 24 hours.

In the past I occasionally got a message that I had to put the title on the front cover. In that case I just sent them a mail and they would yet approve the book.

Level 2 137 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
3. Jan 9, 2018 10:53 AM in response to: SeattleLisa

Just a thought, I haven't tried this.

Could you title your book with just one letter of the alphabet or one number, and then have the subtitle which AFAIK does not need to be on the physical book describe it?

Example:

Official title and subtitle on product page is          I: A Sunset Journal

Actual "title" on the physical book is                I

I like the capital "I" which is just a straight line, but you could have a "V" or "O" or "X"  Again AFAIK it doesn't have to be large.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...