Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,412 Views 5 Replies Last post: May 17, 2018 5:15 PM by M.H. RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 7, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2018 12:37 AM

How to stop Expanded Distribution online retailers undercutting my main listing

My problem - I'm a new author who mistakenly and very briefly opted into Expanded Distribution. The main result of this is that on-line retailers have grabbed the files and are now undercutting me on Amazon on a POD basis. They haven't even bought a book themselves! Amazon say it will take 6 weeks for the system to update, that's 6 weeks of me getting peanuts in commission. They've also disingenuously offered 'used' copies for sale (yeah right! It's a brand new book for heaven's sake!) which I suspect has been done in the event that I delete the title and try and start again. How can I put an end to this? Would it help if I changed the book title?

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Jan 12, 2018 4:07 AM in response to: RascalH
Re: How to stop Expanded Distribution online retailers undercutting my main listing

Just take the book out of Expanded Distribution, if that's what you want.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. Jan 12, 2018 4:46 AM in response to: RascalH
Re: How to stop Expanded Distribution online retailers undercutting my main listing

By putting the book into EDC, you have requested that other sellers list it.  So they did.

They don't have your book files, just the catalog information.  If anyone buys your books form them they will fill the order from Createspace and you will still get your EDC royalty as you requested.

Technically, Amazon doesn't have your book in physical form, either.  Third party sellers list everyone's books. It's just free advertising, don't worry about it.

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Jan 12, 2018 7:42 AM in response to: RascalH

Even if you disabled the sales channels and then changed the title and/or published a new edition of the book with a new ISBN) it could still take up to six week for the change to propogate through all the EDC print partners (such that they could no longer print the current book on demand). I think the best you can do at this point is disable the EDC channels and wait it out.

Level 1 7 posts since
May 14, 2017
4. Jan 13, 2018 5:25 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

I'll have to think about this. First time author at the last stage before clicking publish.

I've enable EDC thinking it was the right thing to do.  Now not so sure. But I guess I need all

the help I can get and  having it available in as many channels as possible was my thinking.

Decisions decisions.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2014
5. May 17, 2018 5:15 PM in response to: RascalH

I don't understand the concern. As another of the replies indicated, Expanded Distribution means that channels through which people can access your book, can access it. For example, my book has been carried by libraries. If I hadn't opted for ED, that wouldn't have been possible. My book has been selling steadily for 3 1/2 years. Imho, you want your book to be accessible through as many channels as possible. When someone asks if my book is available from Barnes & Nobles, I tell them "yes!" Just have to go on-line to B&N.com and order it. Or visit your local store and place a special order.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...