1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 30 posts since
Jan 12, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2018 3:18 PM

Export Photoshop cover page to PDF

Hello all;

I am using Photoshop CC 2018

#1: The PDF Output dialog box, is a bit confusing, as for, what I should choose in order to save the file out as PDF for upload to CreateSpace.

#2: I read that it is best to have CMYK instead of RGD

I did a test run and converted from RGB to CMYK, and it looked really good, but the Author Photo, it killed it. Pixelated badly.

So I did another run on it, and converted it, and merged all layers this go around, and it did very well.

Did not pixelate the Author photo with everything being merged together.

What is the best way to do the cover? RGB or CMYK?

And will have it merged together as CMYK, will that be OK for submission?

Thanks, Wayne

Level 5 19,501 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jan 11, 2018 3:40 PM in response to: carrzkiss
Re: Export Photoshop cover page to PDF

CS is best setup to print sRGB images.  But it also prints CMYK just as well . . . but it depends on how you get to CMYK.  Keep in mind that sRGB is the universal consumer color space.  That includes your monitor, your printer, related software, etc.  The problem with using CMYK, is how you get there.  For example, I use the perceptual color rendering intents, which converts all RGB colors (in and out of gamut) to CMYK, preserving all color relationships; whereas most programs default to relative colorimetric rendering which keeps all in-gamut RGB colors , but remaps all out-of-gamut color to the nearest in-gamut color. If you just convert to PDF/X-1a your work will be converted to CMYK using whatever setting you have.  If you want good CMYK art, convert and tweak.

I would work in sRGB.  Check the color in View > Gamut Warnings and also print it out.  Your printer is CMYK.

I would select PDF/X-3, which will preserved RGB and at the same time prepare a PDF that is designed for printing.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 3,921 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. Jan 11, 2018 4:39 PM in response to: carrzkiss

In addition to what Walton said, flatten the image before saving it as a PDF.  This will give you a much smaller PDF file.  CS's size limit for uploading a cover file is 40 MB.

Dan'l

Sep 5, 2009
4. Jan 12, 2018 9:31 AM in response to: carrzkiss

I usually make a JPG, as Dan'l susggests, if for no other reason than it resolves many issues (like stitching lines), it makes the file much smaller, and it helps to keep CS reviewers from messing around with things.

As for file size, here's a test I did a few months ago, using a single RGB image, 5 x 8:

For a 5 x 8 RGB image at 300 dpi, converted to PDF in Photoshop using Save as PDF (PS PDF) and using Adobe Distiller (Distiller: Print > Adobe PDF)

Preset

PS PDF

Distiller

Press Quality

16.3MB

3.4MB

High Quality

12.9MB

1.6MB

PDF/X-1a

8.8MB

3.7MB

PDF/X3

4.9MB

1.9MB

Obviously, Save as PDF is huge, regardless of the preset, compared with the Distiller.  You get similar results using Acrobat, or many of the free PDF conversion programs out there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Feb 1, 2011
6. Jan 12, 2018 5:12 PM in response to: carrzkiss

Glad that you got the cover finished.

You say you're exporting to PDF from Word.  Good luck with that - be very sure to open the resulting PDF in Acrobat Reader and go through it page by page.  Look at it in 2-page spreads (VIew, Page Display, Two Page View) and also "Show Cover Page in two-page view".  This way, you'll be looking at it exactly like it will print.

You are aware that CS prints precisely what you submit, right?  They do not add anything or take away anything.

Good luck.

Dan'l

Feb 1, 2011
9. Jan 12, 2018 11:39 PM in response to: carrzkiss

Great, submit it and you should have an approval or rejection in about 24 hours.  Let us know the outcome please.  Just come back into this same thread and keep us posted.  If something goes wrong with the approval process this is the first place to come and ask what their rejection notice means.  Then we'll be pleased to continue helping you out.

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Feb 1, 2011
11. Jan 15, 2018 5:21 PM in response to: carrzkiss

You're doing fine, thanks for the update.  For your author photo 200 dpi is --- hopefully --- fine.

Dan'l

Feb 1, 2011
13. Jan 18, 2018 9:39 AM in response to: carrzkiss

Thanks for the update.  Please post an Amazon link after the "Lool Inside" becomes live.

Dan'l

Sep 5, 2009
14. Jan 18, 2018 10:03 AM in response to: danwiz

I was looking over the thread.  You mention flattening the image, and  while I agree, take a look at my chart.  These PDF file sizes were for a  flattened, JPG, image.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...