Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
19,633 Views 18 Replies Last post: Oct 11, 2009 2:17 AM by Pixel RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 1 127 posts since
Jun 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2008 5:31 PM

INSPIRING  SUCCESS STORIES FROM SELF PUBLISHED AUTHORS - PLEASE RESPOND.

Hi authors one and all!

It would be a nice thing to have authors share their success experiences - to inspire us - perhaps to give advice and tips.

There is a stigma attached to self publishing, and people say self publishers are never taken seriously. I'm sure there are very good books out there written by very good authors, who have self published not because they got knocked back by big publishing houses, but because they wanted to try it on their own. It takes a lot of guts, and no doubt a lot of let downs.

Hope to hear from happy members

Level 1 28 posts since
Jul 14, 2008
1. Oct 17, 2008 3:03 PM in response to: SpiritAngel
Re: INSPIRING  SUCCESS STORIES FROM SELF PUBLISHED AUTHORS - PLEASE RESPOND.

I am completely happy with self-publishing my first book.  Not that I'm not trying to market my second one to a publishing house, but the experience I've gotten with my first novel has been fantastic!  I have a fan base now that I never thought I'd have and people who are anticipating the release of my second novel.  I've sold probably 40 copies of my first book, which I know isn't much but it's a start and it's given me the inspiration to push my second novel to a publisher.  My first book has only been available since August so I don't think 40 copies is all that bad.  I'm doing a flea market next weekend so I hope to sell more.  The big thing is, marketing.  You have to push your own stuff.  If you don't, you won't go anywhere with it.  I've learned this the hard way since I had to market.

Sandy

Level 0 27 posts since
Sep 18, 2008
3. Oct 17, 2008 5:16 PM in response to: SpiritAngel

The guru of self publishing is Dan Poynter.  His website is www.parapublishing.com

He has listed the name of some very famous people and books which were self published.

Hope this helps.

What do you think about amazon offering a way for people to contact authors if they have a question before they buy the book?

Cesan

Level 1 38 posts since
Apr 10, 2008
5. Oct 18, 2008 9:16 PM in response to: SpiritAngel

After spending 4 long years in a very intense self taught introspection journey which led me half way across the world (and finding my Buddy SoulMate), writing hundreds of thousands of words as the epiphanies kept flowing, organizing then canceling a publishing contract with a company that only publishes books to sell to the authors themselves, then 5 years later, find a way to bring my books to life and available on a large internet company like amazon, have books sold worldwide, and people across the world using them to create wonderful new lives as the word of Greene's Release spreads, is exceptionally cool!

That's what my journey was all about. 

If your journey is to be a book seller, enjoy it wholeheartedly.

If your journey is to keep writing from your heart, love each moment.

But to be an author doesn't mean you have to do or be either, nor feel disappointed or let down.

I chose to direct my own path, not be told what to do by a publisher, and I couldn't be happier.

Choose whatever makes you smile from the inside out and your success will blossom.

Level 1 19 posts since
Aug 17, 2007
6. Oct 21, 2008 6:52 AM in response to: JGee

I am so happy with my experience as a self published author.  I have learned so much about what people expect, and have gained a huge respect for the process.  I have sold just under 1000 copies of my first release, and plan on having my second book out in time for the holiday buying season.  I certainly cannot quit my day job....YET....but  the first book has afforded me the money to write the second!

It really is exciting to get emails from across the globe telling me that someone really loves my book.  Total ego boost.  Createspace and other POD services have really made it possible for people to make there dreams come true!

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
8. Oct 21, 2008 5:00 PM in response to: SpiritAngel

Well because of CreateSpace my poetry book has manged to bag USA Best books Finalists Awards for poetry two days back.

A great feat for someone living far away in India and that also for his first poetry book.

Thank you CreateSpace

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Level 0 15 posts since
Jan 15, 2008
10. Oct 22, 2008 10:15 PM in response to: SpiritAngel

We decided to self-publish our children's book "The Leprechaun Trap" using Createspace because we retained full ownership and control and we can re-issue the book every Saint Patrick's Day without having to keep any inventory. We did learn some important lessons along the way about the problems that self-publishing can present but those lessons have proven very valuable as we set about publishing our next book "The Soccer Princess". I liked the idea of getting the books onto Amazon immediately but it would be very helpful if Createspace offered its Authors some kind of easier way to get their books into stores as well (especially Borders of course) rather than having to go through the long and rarely successful process of submitting books to Borders or Barnes and Noble without the support of a Publisher.

http://www.amazon.com/Leprechaun-Trap-family-tradition-Patricks/dp/0980083508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224738826&sr=8-1

Level 4 1,317 posts since
Aug 11, 2007
11. Oct 24, 2008 8:18 AM in response to: SpiritAngel

A 92-year-old friend of mine, a retired microbiologist, in tandem with a retired historian, had written a small book about a local lake -- once a city sewage dump and now restored as a national Audubon center and international birding destination. They had an artist illustrate it with delightful sketches. For three years they sought a publisher -- a local university press that specializes in environmental issues, even the local water system, which owns the lake. For three years it sat in a file cabinet. No one was interested. They learned about our publishing venture (our organization just published our sixth book with CreateSpace) and asked for my advice. I explained the system to them and offered to lay it out for them. In less than 3 weeks they have sold almost 300 copies (about half of them pre-sold based on displaying the proof!) and they've told me they will need to order more before Christmas.

https://www.createspace.com/3349747

Another friend has been active in the anti death penalty movement for more than 15 years and wrote up his story, intertwined with stories of people he has met along the way. Like the Mitchell Lake book, this had been languishing in his file cabinet for several years. He, too, found out about our publishing venture and sent us his draft. We found a few editors -- one of them an attorney with a journalism degree, another a sociologist, the third an activist with an keen eye for a typo and grammer error -- and they whipped the book into publishable shape. Detour to Death Row has sold almost 200 copies in less than two months (it's even being used already as a college textbook!) The author is going to Italy next month and activists there have made arrangements for him to present a copy to the Pope.

https://www.createspace.com/3349518

Our goal has not to become best sellers -- our books have too narrow an audience for that -- but rather to honor give a voice to people and ideas that may not have commercial potential. These authors are thrilled, their stories are being heard -- and their organizations (and ours)  are actually making a little money from the venture instead of paying out of pocket for publishing.

Level 0 4 posts since
Dec 30, 2008
12. Dec 30, 2008 12:59 PM in response to: joni

DID YOU USE CREATESPACE FOR SELF PUBLISHING? I AM A FIRST TIMER AND TRYING TO DECIDE THE BEST ROUTE FOR MY MEMOIR. I DO NOT HAVE ALOT OF MONEY, LOST MY JOB LAST MONTH BUT I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE...

Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 21, 2009
14. Jun 22, 2009 7:26 AM in response to: SpiritAngel
First timer to Self publishing and I am looking for advice on mistakes to avoid...

Hello Everyone,

I am a new comer to Self Publishing.  I write a inspirational blog and I am in the process of compiling my work into a book.

I have checked around and it seems CreateSpace is a good place to get this done.

I would very much appreciate (begging really), if anyone could provide useful advice... like top      10 things to get right FIRST TIME RIGHT... and the potential problem areas and how I deal with them.

Thanking everyone in advance.

God bless.

Remi

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...