Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,095 Views 10 Replies Last post: Jan 29, 2018 11:26 AM by JenniferFarrell RSS
Level 0 24 posts since
Aug 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2018 8:24 PM

publishing services at Create Space

I have heard you will stop helping with covers and interior set up.. I hope this isn't true.. I have more book to publish.  Did I hear right? 

Let me know.

Level 5 5,713 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jan 27, 2018 7:30 AM in response to: persistant
Re: publishing services at Create Space

First of all, this is a user community, not a direct line to CS staff.

Secondly, yes, they are discontinuing the editing and design services. But there are many others who provide such services (including me), and you get to work directly with the service provider, instead of through a CS intermediary.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 0 5 posts since
Dec 21, 2014
2. Jan 27, 2018 7:03 PM in response to: Seisa

Seisa:

Can you help clarify something, please? This issue was addressed here in the past few days, but the posts and the info have disappeared.

Someone suggested that Createspace authors ask for their design package with all the stats in it. I remember that there was specific wording on what to ask for, but since it's no longer here, I need help in just what I should be asking for.

I'm only 2 books into a 4-book series, so, of course, I want to match the last two with the first two on my own. I'm going to need that information!

What, specifically should we ask for? Not just the InDesign folder, but what else? Is Createspace obligated to give authors this info so they can complete their projects? I'm afraid they'll turn me down. Then where will I be?

Thanks so much for you help.

Level 5 5,713 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
3. Jan 28, 2018 6:39 AM in response to: JenniferFarrell

You'll want all the source files, packaged, so that another designer can pick up where CS left off. https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/indesign-package-files-for-handoff.html

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Feb 2, 2018 2:21 AM in response to: persistant

You could be very helpful to the community if you can report whether or not you can get the packaged files.

Given the spam here, come on over to [..]  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Message was edited by: CreateSpace Moderators

Level 5 13,129 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Jan 28, 2018 10:04 AM in response to: JenniferFarrell

JenniferFarrell wrote:

I'm only 2 books into a 4-book series, so, of course, I want to match the last two with the first two on my own. I'm going to need that information!

What, specifically should we ask for? Not just the InDesign folder, but what else?

I posted that in a couple of threads, and thought maybe you just weren't finding it -- but it does appear that those discussions were deleted for some reason.

Matching the design of a new book with an existing book is something that any of us who provide design and formatting services can handle. Having the design package for one of the first two books would make it a little easier, but it is by no means essential.

If you someday needed to make revisions to one of those first two books (to correct errors, or to prepare the files for a different printer), then having the complete design package for that book would be more important. But as I mentioned in one thread, if you can't get that complete package (which includes not only the design document, but also fonts, linked images, link updates, and things like a hyphenation dictionary/exceptions), all is not lost -- it just makes the job much simpler for the new service provider (and less costly for you) if you can.

Level 0 5 posts since
Dec 21, 2014
6. Jan 28, 2018 11:16 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

Thank you one and all for your timely, helpful responses! I'm going to call CS tomorrow and make my request. I'll let you know the results. (Walton, I just signed up over at self-publishingforum a few days ago. I will also post there, too.)

Level 0 5 posts since
Dec 21, 2014
7. Jan 29, 2018 9:48 AM in response to: JenniferFarrell

Okay, here's what I found out from Createspace.

She did surprise me by telling me they don't use InDesign for our books!

I asked what they used, and she said they use Createspace's own system, whatever that means.

First of all, they're working to make sure all authors get their complete "Layout Packages." She says they're working diligently to get this all in order by April.

If you submitted an order to them in the last couple years, odds are you'll find your files in your toolbox right now.

My books are a little older than 2016-2017, so for those of us in that timeframe, they have to go in and literally gather our files separately and put them in one main file for us. She didn't give me a final time frame for that. I asked her that, since I was on the phone requesting them today, could she at least put me at the top of that list? I didn't get a definitive answer on that.

I've always wondered why the black ink color in the printed proofs looked more like a dark gray. That's the one thing I've really disliked about the look of the book. Now I'm wondering if that's because they don't use InDesign. The ink was never a crisp, black black.

I'm really starting to also wonder if I should just start over with the first two books, too! Do you have any idea how much money I've paid them? Well, at least I'm learning more and more every day.

I don't blame the tech people there. She said she was blindsided by the news herself.

Anyway, that's all I know for now.

(Walton, would you like me to post this info over at selfpublishingforum, too?)

Level 0 5 posts since
Dec 21, 2014
8. Jan 29, 2018 10:49 AM in response to: JenniferFarrell

I have another question. I own my ISBN numbers, but when I started to work with Createspace for my print copies, they added a "Library of Congress Control Number" to my Copyright page, too.

Do /Will they have any control over my work once they close up shop in April? Do I own that new number now? Do I want to add one to my two other books when I go somewhere else? How do I buy those numbers?

Thanks.

Level 5 13,129 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
9. Jan 29, 2018 11:23 AM in response to: JenniferFarrell

The LCCN identifies a catalog record for a book, not the book itself. You might want to enter "LCCN" in the Search Community box to the upper right and read some of the discussions about that.

Level 0 5 posts since
Dec 21, 2014
10. Jan 29, 2018 11:26 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

Thanks, Lighthouse24. I will.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...