I did this a few months ago, but let's see how it's looking now. Here are the top ten best-selling CreateSpace books on Amazon:
1. Love Letters of Great Men by John C. Kirkland. A collection of historical love letters. Amazon sales ranking #640 in Books.
2. Think and Grow Rich: 70th Anniversary Edition (Updated) by Napoleon Hill. Revised reprint of the classic self-help book. Amazon sales ranking #2,846 in Books.
3. Exercising the P****: How to Make Your Most Prized Organ Bigger, Harder & Healthier (Penis Enlargement) by Aaron Kemmer, Deby Cassill, and Richard Howard II. Another, er, self-help book. #1,380 in Books.
4. The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason (Paperback - Jun 23, 2008). Reprint of book on how to make money 1920s-style. #2,459 in Books.
5. Wire Wrapping: The Basics and Beyond by Jim McIntosh. A niche how-to book. #3,326 in Books.
6. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Reprint of the classic. #10,795 in Books.
7. HCG Weight Loss Cure Guide by Linda Prinster (Paperback - Feb 27, 2008). Another how-to book. #6,572 in Books.
8. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Another reprinted classic. #7,533 in Books.
9. The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Yet another reprinted classic. #27,629 in Books.
10. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. The ultimate classic. #15,424 in Books.
Thank you. That is interesting. I've never been able to make sense of Amazon's ranking thing. It would be better if they showed actual sales numbers instead of on some ranking system few people (if any) actually understands.
The rankings are updated daily or even hourly, which makes them very volatile and hard to correlate with actual sales. As a rough guide:
If you are in the top 100 you are probably selling at least 2,000 copies / month on Amazon.
If you are in the top 1,000 you are probably selling at least 200 copies / month on Amazon.
If you are in the top 10,000 you are probably selling at least 20 copies / month on Amazon.
For slow-selling books, the ranking indicates when you last sold a copy.
If your rank is in the top 200,000 you probably sold just 1 copy yesterday.
If your rank is in the top 1,000,000 you probably sold just 1 copy in the last week.
If your rank is in the top 2,000,000 you probably sold just 1 copy in the last several months.
Notice that in the CreateSpace top ten, the books are mostly in just two categories:
(1) Reprints of popular classics
(2) Books about how to get more money or how to get more s*x.