Skip navigation
403 Views 9 Replies Last post: Feb 7, 2018 3:48 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Nov 18, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2018 2:28 PM

Visibility of page numbers

Hi, I'm using the CreateSpace Formatted Template for the first time. I've copied and pasted my novel into it. The one thing I'm having trouble with is the page numbers. The template came ready-made with page numbering and blank headers. I inserted my name and title into the headers to customize them, of course. I've noticed that when I open the document in print preview the headers show up fine, but the page numbers just show as hyphens. So I tried inserting page numbers myself through the usual Word 16 way you do it when there are existing footers- double-clicking the footer, choosing design, page number, current position, selecting style, pressing escape- and that doesn't work either. The page numbers are still not showing in print preview, although the headers are. So if they're not showing now, I don't see how they can show in the printed book. Does anybody have any advice?

Level 3 739 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
1. Feb 4, 2018 4:02 PM in response to: Diamantina
Re: Visibility of page numbers

I use the templates exclusively despite everyone's warnings about the inherent glitches. I have never come across the issue you describe. Are you far enough into the book when you preview it. I assume you are using the fully-formatted template? Page numbers don't start until the first chapter which is about page seven if I am not mistaken. Mind you, I no longer cut and paste my book into the template, I use the template to write the book now, removing extraneous text as I go.

Did the template have page numbers showing when you first opened it? If it still persists and you still want to use the template, perhaps you could start again with a newly downloaded template making sure the information is there to begin? Slow and cumbersome I agree, but all I can suggest at present. Good luck,

Joe.

Level 5 19,385 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 5, 2018 12:33 PM in response to: Diamantina

Have you printed a few pages out to see how the page numbers print?  Have you made a PDF and looked at it?

Ultimately, you should (must) create  PDF to upload.  And, the goal is to have it print correctly.

I am one of the ones who has warned against using the CS templates.  I looked at them when they first were introduced, and they were terrible. For example, they used MinionPro as the default text, great, except that MinionPro is an Adobe font, it's an .oft font, and it will not embed in PDFs made using Word's Save as PDF feature; there were headers that extended down as much as 2/3 of the page; there were sections/pages wehere the vertical alignment was set to center; etc.  Some of them have bad settings under Paragraph > Line and Page Breaks > Pagination.  I periodically download one or two to see if they are okay. I haven't checked for about six months, but when I last did, there were problems. With regard to the settings problem, not all the templates have the same settings, therefor some don't have this problem. Obviously, not everyone has problems with them: perhaps they correct the bad settings, or have done nothing to set Word off.  But I've got screen shots to demonstrate some of the problems, and I have gotten quite a bit of work fixing other people's Word files.

My recommendation, whether you use templates or not, is to save your file often; and to make a copy of the file at least once a day, then keep working on the copy.  Pagination and headers/footers are the things that most often mess up Word files.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
5. Feb 6, 2018 7:27 AM in response to: Diamantina

Let us know how things work out.

It is odd that you could see the page correctly in Print Preview, but it did not print right.  But Word is full of surprises.  Also, so is most everything else.  I use InDesign.  It is the gold standard of desktop publishing programs; but I've had some of the worst problems with it: clumps of pages (perhaps 10 groups of 2-20 pages) just disappearing from a book; or making corrections on one page but having them appear 200± pages away; or having the click and drag feature (as you might do to move a word or sentence) take between 30 seconds and half an hour to move, by which time it could end up almost anywhere on the page; etc.  Fun!

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
7. Feb 7, 2018 9:33 AM in response to: Diamantina

As for CustomerService . . . I had a question that no one here could answer (it had something to do with type or color, things I post on often), and, although I thought it well outside the skill set for CustomerService, they are the gateway to TechnicalService.  Their suggestion to me was to post a question on the forum, which amounted to my asking a question of me.

Walton

Level 4 2,578 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
8. Feb 7, 2018 3:36 PM in response to: walton

walton wrote:

Their suggestion to me was to post a question on the forum, which amounted to my asking a question of me.

But did you give yourself a helpful answer?

Sep 5, 2009
9. Feb 7, 2018 3:48 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

No . . . it turned out I was grumpy that day and was somewhat flippant.  No points there!

W

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...