1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
2,673 Views 6 Replies Last post: Feb 8, 2018 8:57 AM by amf12 RSS
Level 0 18 posts since
Jan 29, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 5, 2018 2:27 PM

Transfer files to KDP

Hi Everyone,

How long does it take to transfer to KDP, my file has been importing for the last 2 hours. I'm trying to read through any details I can find, one section mentioned 72 hours. I don't want to leave my lap top running for 3 days! Can anyone advise??

Thanks

amf

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
1. Feb 5, 2018 9:08 PM in response to: amf12
Re: Transfer files to KDP

I have come across this as well. You are better off canceling the transfer and going to KDP where you should input all the info and your own converted interior file(I use Calibre,free).  You should not let CS convert the file for you. You can upload the cover form your own files as well.

Joe.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
3. Feb 6, 2018 2:17 PM in response to: amf12

If you have all the info you need on KDP, then good enough. Cancell the ongoing transfer at CS. While KDP and CS are both owned by Amazon, they are entirely separate entities. Sooner or later, CS will be absorbed into KDP by the looks of it, but until then, keep publishing your paperbacks here. If you have already published on KDP, have you viewed the complete interior file on the previewer? Did it look right? I would not trust CS to convert the file. Too many problems. Good luck.

Joe.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
5. Feb 7, 2018 2:22 PM in response to: amf12

Your interior file does not automatically transfer to KDP, it is a manual process that you must instigate or deny. Once you are satisfied with your paperback proof, I would suggest converting your own interior file into the ebook format. I use the free software Calibre and I am more than happy with it. Other authors prefer other software options like Jutoh. You have to log into your KDP account to access the previewer for your digital version once uploaded there. I am not surprised that the kindle version was less than satisfactory if you allowed CS to convert it for you.

I agree that the KDP system does sort of jump into the live process all of a sudden, there doesn't seem to be a point where you can line up all your ducks and view everything before hitting that button, but it is there. You can just save as a draft rather than, continuing, which the program somehow identifies as publish, and before you know it, you are live. Scary actually.

Take the time to go over your physical proof carefully, give it to others to do a beta read, ask someone to read it to you, (amazing what you pick up in that case), then submit a new interior which you should then preview just as carefully. I have ordered as many as five proof copies before finally approving. Don't be in a hurry. Unless you are on your last legs, hoping to squeeze out a legacy before departing this mortal coil, you need to take your time.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...