This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
310 Views 3 Replies Last post: Feb 8, 2018 3:09 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jan 4, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 7, 2018 9:54 AM

Newcomer Max

I have uploaded and then revised to correct the problems. But when I upload a new version, a few words are written in red which is like an early version that wasn't even uploaded during my editing process.  I don't know how to get that changed when it is already changed on the version I post.

1. What on earth should I do?

2. .How many pages does a book require to have a spine?

3, The book contains old pictures from WWII which are not the pic number recommended. I would like to publish with them anyway even if they are if they are little dim...they are a little dim! Can I publish it in spite of that?

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Feb 7, 2018 11:20 AM in response to: Trying
Re: Newcomer Max

If I understand your question . . . if you have text in red, or highlighted, etc., go back to the source file (Word, InDesign, etc.)  Correct things there.  Make a new PDF, and upload it.

You should/must upload a PDF.

There is no way to correct things on the CS site.

If you make your own cover, then you have to have 101 pages or more for you to have text on the spine . . . but all books and magazines printed and bound as we do here (which excludes, for example, scrolls, fan folds, etc.) have a spine.  The spine is where the leaves of a book or magazine hinge.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 8, 2018 3:09 PM in response to: Trying
Re: Newcomer Max

I'm not quite sure what "are no the right Pic...or whatever" means.  If you have images in your file (for Word, you will have need to disable/deselect "Compress images in this document."  It is not compression it is downsizing, and it could downsize your images to as low is 96dpi.  Once the images have been inserted and file saved, the damage is down.  You might have to re-insert them at 300 dpi.

I have printed images at both 200 and 300 dpi, and if anything the 200 dpi version was better.  But . . . 300 dpi is the standard, and it in a universal sense, it works best.

If CS will let you proceed, submit the book for approval and order a printed proof.  Do not rely on the digital proofer or the digital proof.

Please describe what you're doing.  When you say "I did go back and correct on Word....but it still comes back uncorrected" I am confused.  What's to come back?

You need to convert your file to PDF then upload the PDF.  Do not use Word's Save as PDF, it will downsize your images.  You can use a PDF conversion program.  Acrobat is the gold standard, at gold standard prices.  primoPDF, doPDF, cutePDF, PDF995, etc. all do a good job, and they are free.  You'll have to set the output/print/trim size or it will defalut to 8.5 x 11.  And you need to select the highest quality and embed/download fonts (if asked).

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers,   and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress   Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide   to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...