Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
823 Views 8 Replies Last post: Feb 9, 2018 6:32 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jan 26, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2018 11:08 PM

Can I change an even page to an odd page somehow?!

So, I'm super close to completing formatting but hit a snag and can't seem to find a solution.

I have diff page, diff odd/even checked.  My numbers begin on the 7th page of my document.  My problem, I think, is that the first page I want to number is defaulting to an EVEN page so it begins the count with 2 instead of 1!!! Arggh!

Is there a way to change it to an odd page so the count will begin with 1?  Or some other way to correct it?

I need odd/even checked to my knowledge because I want my name/book title alternating in the header.  I could uncheck diff first page and diff odd/even boxes and this can revolve the number issue but then i'd have the header issue of not being able to have an odd/even page header.

Hope that all makes sense.  Bout to tear my hair out with this last tiny problem. Thanks in advance.

Level 5 12,994 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Feb 4, 2018 9:58 AM in response to: Curt85
Re: Can I change an even page to an odd page somehow?!

You don't mention what software you're using, but assuming it's Word...

Look at the Page Setup for each section to see where you've indicated that the next new section should begin (next page, odd page, even page...) and then check the type of section breaks you've inserted at the end of each of those (next page, odd page, even page).

What has most likely happened is that you have a combination of the two settings that are in conflict (forcing a "hidden" odd page).

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Feb 4, 2018 10:15 AM in response to: Curt85

Of course you can change even to odd pages, as Lighthouse suggests, and as he goes on to suggest you might have problems, e.g. hidden pages.  From my experience, that's less likely than some kind of corruption.

Word knows what pages are odd or even. And Word is stubborn, willful, and mischeivous without any extra stimulation.  I say, change odd and even and you might disserve what you get.  Sorry, I'm being a bit extreme, but I'm trying to make a point.

Also at this stage, doing the pagination, etc., you must be working on a copy of your file. You should be doing that all along, but now is when Word files tend to corrupt most often.  You need to have the insurance of the most recent, clean and working, file.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
4. Feb 5, 2018 1:12 PM in response to: Curt85

The normal section break is Section Break > Next Page.

There is a corruption in Word where there are invisible pages. If you scroll through your book, page by page, and look at the page numbers on the pages (if you have put them in), they will look normal.  If you just look at your pages, they will look and flow normally. However, if you have this corruption, when the book is converted to PDF or printed, there will suddenly be new, blank, pages. You can see this by looking at the lower left corner of the Word desktop.  You will see something like this: Page 17 or 250, Page 18 of 250, Page 19 of 250 . . .   But if you have the corruption, this will skip a number where the blank page will appear: for example, Page 17 of 250, Page 19 of 25, Page 20 of 250 . . .   The fix is generally to change the next/closest Section Break > Next Page to Section Break > Continuous.

Have you tried changing from Continuous to Next Page?

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 8, 2018 3:17 PM in response to: Curt85

Take a look at the books around you.  My guess is that 98% of traditionally published books let the chapter opening fall where they are, and do not start all chapters on the recto (odd numbered, right hand) page.

Walton

Level 4 2,935 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
7. Feb 8, 2018 3:46 PM in response to: Curt85

Regardless whether they're versos or rectos, pages are often odd. Some are extremely odd.

Sep 5, 2009
8. Feb 9, 2018 6:32 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Ha!  I should have expected that sort of answer, even from you!.

W

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...