Skip navigation
2,216 Views 26 Replies Last post: Feb 20, 2018 1:58 PM by lipmag RSS Go to original post
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 5 19,386 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
15. Feb 5, 2018 12:39 PM in response to: DougBrunell
Re: Createspace No Longer Offering Paid Services

There has been talk that CS is going to merge into KDP.  Some of the talk sounds reliable.  CS/Amazon/KDP are, however, among the most secretive companies in the universe.

It seems odd for KDP to devlop a Print publishing program, which duplicates CS, unless the intent is to merge them eventually.  I think that the advantage goes to CS for now; the only obvious exception is being able for people in the UK, for example, to order proofs/author copies from there and not the US.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 29, 2012
16. Feb 8, 2018 7:05 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Oh me, I have been debating all day as far as Createspace or KDP to do the paper back with. My first book is through Createspace, hate they don't have those services but does anyone have any suggestions for someone who can edit and design a cool book cover that is reasonable in prices. I mean I can go through and do it myself but was going to see about getting some help this time.

Level 5 19,386 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
17. Feb 9, 2018 6:51 AM in response to: Becca2072

First, I would say stay with CS.  Second . . . services: most of the regulars here do editing, design, formatting, Lipmag, Seisa, Lighthouse24, Seal, me (I'm too busy right now to take on a new project), etc. PM people and see what they can do for you.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers,   and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress   Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide   to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 25, 2015
18. Feb 9, 2018 11:18 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Just wondering. If CreateSpace did the typesetting, how do I make changes to my book after April 20? Wasn't planning on doing it now; I'm not ready. Will I need to start from scratch with my Word file? Thanks!

Level 5 5,326 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
19. Feb 9, 2018 4:50 PM in response to: LauraBee

You can try to get your source files from CreateSpace and then find another service provider who can work with those source files to update them.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 15,450 posts since
May 4, 2008
20. Feb 9, 2018 7:36 PM in response to: LauraBee

There was another thread on this topic, that CS deleted for some reason, in which I suggested that anyone who has ever purchased services from CS should ask for the "source file package". They will likely be in Adobe InDesign, so unless you have access to that software you may need to hire someone who can help you.

CS used to refuse to do this in the past, but since they will no longer be around to edit and update existing books, I believe they will be required to supply them to their clients.

Michelle

-—--—--——

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 0 15 posts since
Nov 29, 2012
21. Feb 10, 2018 8:04 PM in response to: walton

Hey,

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, pretty sure I'm going to stay here with CS. I feel there are more sources than with KDP from what I have been looking into. Nothing wrong with KDP of course.

Becca2072

Level 0 2 posts since
Jul 6, 2011
22. Feb 15, 2018 12:16 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Hello All,

I have been a contract book designer (covers and interiors) with Createspace since 2011. If anyone is in need of professional-quality book cover design or interior formatting, please let me know.

Thank you,

Tara Mayberry

Book and Graphic Design Services

www.teaberrycreative.com

http://teaberrycreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/TeaBerryCreative_new-1.png

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 9, 2015
23. Feb 15, 2018 4:42 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

I've been formatting and doing covers since 2008 for presses and self published authors.

http://www.suzettevaughn.com

https://www.fiverr.com/vaughnsuzette

Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 23, 2017
24. Feb 20, 2018 1:00 PM in response to: Hope7

A CreateSpace employee told me several months ago that CS is being absorbed by KDP, and that services related to paperback and ebook services will all be managed through the KDP platform.

I own a small publishing company and we're working to get our arms around the implications of the changes too. As mentioned by others in this thread, the good news is that Amazon is always going to be hungry for author/book content and there are lots of companies that can assist with the publishing services (editing, graphic design, formatting, marketing).

Should be an interesting transition ...

Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 23, 2017
25. Feb 20, 2018 1:10 PM in response to: lipmag

I'm with you on this -- if CS or KDP will not be offering services to update/edit existing source files, they need to make those native files available to the authors. I own a small collaborative publishing company and we've "rescued" a lot of books/authors from other companies, and the #1 issue we contend with when determining whether we can help someone without it breaking the bank is whether they can get their hands on the InDesign files.

I, too, noticed the other thread has been deleted. Hmmm.

Level 5 15,450 posts since
May 4, 2008
26. Feb 20, 2018 1:58 PM in response to: SilverTreeKate

SilverTreeKate wrote:

services related to paperback and ebook services will all be managed through the KDP platform.

I suspect they will be focusing on DIY services. Why else would they lay off 58 people instead of transferring them to KDP?

So people will still need to be able to find professional services if they can't DIY. I'm not looking forward to joining the KDP forums though.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...