Skip navigation
568 Views 9 Replies Last post: Feb 9, 2018 7:39 PM by lipmag RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 17, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2018 2:29 PM

How are self purchased copies tracked?

I just ordered a few copies to make available at author appearances. Are these tracked as sales?

Level 5 5,320 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jan 23, 2018 4:01 PM in response to: ENorthley
Re: How are self purchased copies tracked?

Where? Like in the Amazon statistics? No. In your CS account order history? Yes.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 15,447 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Jan 23, 2018 4:02 PM in response to: ENorthley

Not for the purpose of royalties, but you can keep track of your own orders through your author dashboard—invoices or found in the sidebar menu.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 4 2,578 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
4. Feb 3, 2018 12:15 PM in response to: ENorthley

What's the point of self-publishing? To have total control over the publishing process and receive higher royalties on sales than is possible with trad publishing. CreateSpace's account order tracking is adequate for most folks.

Level 4 2,600 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. Feb 3, 2018 2:25 PM in response to: ENorthley

Amazon sales rank only counts what's been sold through Amazon.  If you bought author copies through Createspace, or anywhere else, Amazon has no way to count it.

May 4, 2008
6. Feb 3, 2018 2:26 PM in response to: ENorthley

You're meant to keep track of it yourself. I've created spreadsheets to keep track of all my sales in the four different sales channels I use (IngramSpark, KDP, iTunes, Streetlib), plus all the sales I make through my website, at markets and conventions etc.

CS only reports on the copies they sell because they have to pay royalties on those sales. In your invoices area, you can track all the copies you have ordered yourself. CS doesn't mix these orders into their sales reports because they don't pay royalties on those units. 

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 5,320 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
7. Feb 4, 2018 5:34 AM in response to: ENorthley

When you enter into the business of publishing (which is exactly what you do when you self-publish), you become a business owner. As such, you're expected to keep your own records, including records of sales.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

May 4, 2008
9. Feb 9, 2018 7:39 PM in response to: ENorthley

They don't. Nielsen Bookscan is the industry company for point-of-sale tracking -- only sales made through participating retailers are tracked, and not all bookstores are signed up to track sales. It's meant to be representative, not a precise measurement of how a book is selling in the marketplace.

Michelle

-—--—--——

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...