Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
566 Views 5 Replies Last post: Feb 11, 2018 10:59 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jan 4, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2018 9:24 AM

Newcomer Max

How do I get a spine on a 114 page book?

Level 4 2,968 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Feb 9, 2018 9:42 AM in response to: Trying
Re: Newcomer Max

All CreateSpace perfect-bound books have spines. I assume you're referring to placement of text on a spine. Here's what CreateSpace has to say:

Regarding spine text, we require titles to have at least 100 pages to have text on the spine; however, if you are using the Cover Creator tool you will need to have at least 130 pages for spine text.

So there's no problem as long as you're uploading a custom cover PDF, but bear in mind that spine text must have 0.125 inch (1/8 inch) clearance from the spine edges.

Feb 7, 2015
2. Feb 9, 2018 9:57 AM in response to: Trying

By the way, do you plan to name every thread you start "Newcomer Max"?

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 9, 2018 10:36 AM in response to: Trying

Actually, the spine is the place where the leaves of a book are hinged . . . it could be a saddle stitched magazine, a spiral bound book, paper back, hound bound . . . .

The easiest way to deal with this is to download a cover template from Bookow. Then, if you've never made a cover before, download Making a Cover. Both are free.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers,   and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress   Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide   to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 5,700 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
4. Feb 9, 2018 4:53 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Lorem_Ipsum wrote:

...bear in mind that spine text must have 0.125 inch (1/8 inch) clearance from the spine edges.

Actually, the spine text clearance is 0.0625" on either side of the text:

The spine of your book

Every book will vary slightly when bound. Allow for 0.0625" variance on either side of the fold lines for your cover. For example, if your spine width is 1", your text should be no wider than 0.875". Because of this variance, avoid hard edges or lines that end on the fold line.

For books with 130 pages or less, we strongly recommend a blank spine. Blank spines are required for books with less than 101 pages.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Feb 7, 2015
5. Feb 11, 2018 10:59 PM in response to: Seisa

Mea culpa. My brain musta shorted out, because I checked that very same spec before I posted. Good catch.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...