Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,162 Views 12 Replies Last post: Feb 13, 2018 1:55 PM by Kidsontrump RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 6, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2018 9:42 PM

My first attempt at a Title

Autobiography of An Entrepreneur. Thoughts?

Subtitle suggestions?

Thank you!

Level 0 1 posts since
Oct 10, 2016
1. Feb 7, 2018 5:30 AM in response to: MikeFreeman
Re: My first attempt at a Title

Hello MikeFreeman

Deciding titles and subtitles are very personal step.

From my experience, and having in mind what entrepeneurs face day by day, once they are out there, I would suggest "Alone in the Dark"

Regards

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Feb 7, 2018 8:22 AM in response to: MikeFreeman

MikeFreeman wrote:

Autobiography of An Entrepreneur.

The title basically says, "I'm an entrepreneur, and wrote a book about myself."

Okay, so what? I don't mean for that to sound offensive. The point is that there's really nothing compelling about that title -- nothing to grab the attention of a prospective reader and make him/her think, "I need to read that!"

What's your motive for writing the book? Who are your target readers, and what will they get out of it? The answers to questions like those could help you craft a more effective title.

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 7, 2018 9:02 AM in response to: MikeFreeman

Lighthouse's comment is spot on.

To be generous, your title reads as if something were missing, as in Zefram Cochrane: Autobiography of an Entrepreneur. But if most readers don't know who Zefram Cochrane is, then perhaps something more like The Warp Drive Revolution: Zefram Cochrane, the Autobiography of an Entrepreneur. I'm not saying this is a great title, but I think it improves on where you were starting.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
4. Feb 7, 2018 2:36 PM in response to: walton

You little, Trekkie, you.

Level 0 9 posts since
Feb 23, 2017
5. Feb 7, 2018 6:39 PM in response to: MikeFreeman

Mike,

I agree and actually love the suggestion "Alone in the Dark".  I'm an avid reader open to various genre but honestly I probably would have passed up your book if the title just indicated "autobiography of an entrepreneur".  That said, I would definitely have picked up "Alone in the Dark" and very likely would have read the autobiography once I had taken the time to read the intro or first page.  I think that title has strong potential.  Hope this helps and best of luck!!

Regards,

Marie Korman

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 10, 2018 8:39 AM in response to: Phoenix61

But you see, other than a few, who remembers Zefram Cochrane? Huh? Well?  Almost no one, that's who.  He deserves a good biography.

W

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
7. Feb 10, 2018 2:11 PM in response to: walton

The father of warp drive????? You jest surely? That few would know or remember? Sacrilege! Off with their heads.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
8. Feb 10, 2018 4:05 PM in response to: MikeFreeman

Make your title the subtitle.

Then your problem is thinking up the title. The formula for many books like this is a word-play on the personal name, company name, product name or core business. 'Losing my Virginity', 'Pour Your Heart into It', 'The House that Jack Ma Built', etc. Google: entrepreneur autobiography.

Level 0 5 posts since
Feb 12, 2018
9. Feb 13, 2018 6:16 AM in response to: Maaku

Try to create more variants

Level 0 2 posts since
May 9, 2010
10. Feb 13, 2018 10:05 AM in response to: MikeFreeman

Titles and subtitles should tell the reader what they will get from reading your book and will, by the same token, limit your readership to those readers. For example, "Autobiography of an Entrepreneur" limits your readership to people interested in what an entrepreneur has to say about himself as an entrepreneur. What "perceived need" on the part of your reader does your book promise to fulfill? Let's say you have a title like: "The Entrepreneur's Dilemna: The 10 Most Valuable Lessons I Learned by Successfully Creating My Own Million-Dollar Business." Though hackneyed (on purpose) this title has a clear promise that everyone who's ever dreamed of starting their own business will want to know. When you get right down to the business of selling your book, you have to think of that book as a "product." Why would a person want to buy it? What would keep them looking forward to reading each new page? How is it going to change their lives---or entertain them for the 5 or more hours it takes to read it? Good luck with all that. Keep on keepin' on.

Level 4 2,929 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
11. Feb 13, 2018 1:31 PM in response to: MikeFreeman

Here's an attention grabber with a contemporary twist:

The Naked Truth: Fifty Shades of Entrepreneuring.

Level 0 9 posts since
Feb 23, 2017
12. Feb 13, 2018 1:55 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Actually, I think that is my favorite title suggestion thus far!  Sounds like you have alot of great feedback from this group to think about as you make your final title decision.  I hope you will let everyone know what title you pick!

Best of Luck,

Marie Korman

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...