Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

814 Views 13 Replies Last post: Feb 14, 2018 10:35 AM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 7 posts since
Nov 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2018 8:02 AM

We are unable to understand margins rules...

...and we have no idea on how to solve this apparently irresolvable issue.

CS reviewers keep on telling us the same thing:

"The interior needs a wider inside margin. Inside margin requirements are based on the book?s page count. [...]"

"The   interior doesn't have sufficient outside margins for printing, which   could result in content being trimmed when printed. The outside, top,   and bottom margin requirements are 0.25" for non-bleed interiors or   0.375" for bleed interiors."

Here is the setup in InDesign

Document Setup

Intent: Print

Number of Pages: 132

Facing Pages: yes

Page Size:  Letter

Bleed and Slug

Top Bottom Inside Outside Bleed: 0,125 in

Top Bottom Inside Outside Slug: 0,0 in

Margins Requested By Cs

0.25 Inches Top, Bottom And Outside

0.375 Inches Inside

Our Real Text Margins (Consistenly The Same For All Pages)

Margins and Columns

Top: 1,0139 in - inside: 1,125 in

Bottom: 1,0139 in - Outside: 0,8194 in

Columns

Number: 1 -  Gutter: o,1667 in

Enable Lavout _adjustment: yes

We have literally measured EVERY SINGLE PAGES, physically measured every single page, and not one of them is in trouble.
We are consuming lot of hours of precious time, and this is driving us crazy:
Where are those problems that we are not able to see?

I also have a doubt: all images have a description and a copyright close to the borders

and in full width images, those "text" parts sit outside the safe areas: could it be that?

please, give us a suggestion, we are going crazy

Thank you everyone

P.S. I could show detailed images showing that, but when I enclosed the link to those images in google drive, the discussion remained stacked under moderation: is there other ways to post an image here? - thanks

Level 5 5,599 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Feb 11, 2018 8:51 AM in response to: julio883
Re: We are unable to understand margins rules...

julio883 wrote:

Bleed and Slug

Top Bottom Inside Outside Bleed: 0,125 in

CS only wants three-side bleed. You should have the Top, Outside, and Bottom bleed set to 0.125" and the Inside bleed set to 0".

Any image that goes closer to the trim line than the minimum margins must go all the way to the bleed line. Do you have any images that end in this out-of-live zone? If so, CS may resize your file for you, which then causes other errors.

I also have a doubt: all images have a description and a copyright close to the borders and in full width images, those "text" parts sit outside the safe areas: could it be that?

Very likely. No text is allowed in the out-of-live zone. Period.

When you uploaded the interior file to your Dashboard, did you select "Ends after the end of the page"?

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Jan 17, 2010
4. Feb 11, 2018 12:14 PM in response to: julio883

julio883 wrote:

2) the description and the copyright close to the borders are not actually text, they are saved as graphic - I was asking to myself if automated checking systems are seeing the as "text" because in full width images, those "graphic text" parts sit outside the safe areas

Even text that is part of an image is considered a "live element" and must honor the minimum page margins.

P.S. how can I post a screenshot?

Upload the image to a photo sharing site or some other online location and link it here, or use the HTML img tag to embed it in your post.

Level 5 19,528 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 11, 2018 1:53 PM in response to: julio883

The image you posted scales to 8.5 x 11.  Ignoring the need for a bleed margin, the copyright notice is right at the edge of the out-of-live margin (0.25" around the the page.

If you want the image to bleed, which given the background color and the bottom, I assume you do, then your copyright notice is too close to the edge:

The bleed plus the out-of-live margin (0.125"  + 0.25*)  equals 0.375".  Your image must either stop at or before the out-of-live margin, or it must pass all the way to the outside edge of the bleed margin . . . even if it is white/non-printin.

You image/page size will not have 0.25" added to the width, only 0.125", the inside edge does not have a bleed margin.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
7. Feb 11, 2018 1:56 PM in response to: walton

(CS is acting funny I couldn't add this)

If there are other issues, I did not check them.  I only took your image and looked at it with regard to the review letter comments.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
9. Feb 12, 2018 7:44 AM in response to: julio883

Without looking at that image in Photoshop and measuring etc., it should end up looking like the one I put blue and red borders around and you can see the copyright notice does infringe on the out-of-live margin.  I'd say, pull it in to where it is clearly safe.

CS is "funny."  I've had a clients' books where the book title on the cover had a drop shadow, and a few pixels of the drop shadow were in the out-of-live margin and the project was blocked.  (I did  not make the covers.)

CS has changed its guidelines to permit some characters to bleed (unessential words, like a stop sign in the background of a picture, or city names on a map).  It seems that if they pass through the out-of-live margin, they can bleed, but if they stop inside the out-of-live margin, then the project could be blocked.  I think this is a training issue . . . and it is a discretionary issue: one reviewer might block something that the next reviewer might approve.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 5 posts since
Feb 12, 2018
10. Feb 13, 2018 6:14 AM in response to: walton

I can't get the problem( What is wrong?

Jan 17, 2010
12. Feb 14, 2018 9:19 AM in response to: julio883

julio883 wrote:

Don't put ANY sign that represent ANY kind of text in the out-of-live margins

Which is exactly what I said in my first post on this thread: "No text is allowed in the out-of-live zone. Period."

Level 4 2,836 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
13. Feb 14, 2018 10:35 AM in response to: Seisa

You should have said, "No text is allowed in the out-of-live zone, that I can tell you. Believe me."

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...