This discussion is archived
1,764 Views 7 Replies Last post: Feb 23, 2018 11:07 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Aug 20, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 20, 2018 8:24 AM

300 dpi cover errored as less than 200 dpi

Hi, I hope there's help for this issue.

I use an experienced pro cover artist for all my covers; this is our first foray together in CS, though she's done it for my trade publisher many times before. All her covers are minimum 300 dpi .pdf files. However, when I load it, I get an error message saying it's 200 dpi or less.

What's next? There's nothing for her to do to make my cover 300 dpi -- it's already there. Do I ignore the message and plunge on? It prints perfectly on my home printer and she says she never has this issue with my trade publisher's files through the various platforms they've used.

Ignore, or -- what?

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Feb 20, 2018 10:46 AM in response to: DKinnard
Re: 300 dpi cover errored as less than 200 dpi

Are you sure that the cover she sent you was 300 dpi?

It is possible that the *original images* she used were 300 dpi, but the pdf she made was downsampled.  That happens even to experienced, professional artists.

Level 5 5,589 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Feb 20, 2018 11:17 AM in response to: DKinnard

Are you sure the PDF is exactly the right size for your trim size, page count, and paper type? If not, CS sometimes "helps" by resizing, which could very well screw up the resolution.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. Feb 20, 2018 3:26 PM in response to: DKinnard

If you have Acrobat, you can check the pdf in Preflight.  If not, you can open it in Photoshop and check the resolution there.

If you would like to post the cover I'll be happy to check it for you.

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Feb 23, 2018 11:07 AM in response to: DKinnard

Although 300 dpi is the standard with most printers, I've done tests, where I submitted the same image at various resolutions.  Here's one:

Arguably the 200 dpi image is better.  But regardless, no one should recommend using 200 dpi, but it could work. If you've ordered a proof, you'll see!

It's also possible the error message was incorrect.

Downsizing could happen depending on the software (Word tends to default to "image compression," which is Word's euphemism for downsizing), PDF presets (some preset will downsize images, Standard or Small, for example), adjustments (depending on the coversion software, the are often places where the image resolution can be set to downsize if it over a certain amount), etc. Without knowing what software was used and what settings, it is difficult to be specific.

I'm not aware of any place in the CS system where resoltuion can be changed, but CS is a black box . . . PDFs go in one side, something happens, we don't know what, and books come out the other side. So who knows if something happened at CS.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: almost spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...