Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
433 Views 4 Replies Last post: Feb 26, 2018 4:27 PM by lipmag RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 11, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2018 12:31 PM

Cover help - The cover is not properly sized for the selected trim size.

Hi, I need cover help. A graphic artist friend designed a cover for me and transferred it to the Createspace cover template and pdf 'd it for me to upload. Createspace have come back to me to say the cover is 'not properly sized for the selected trim size. I don't know what is wrong with my pdf or how to fix it? I have a jpg of the full cover, could someone (from here?) translate it into an appropriate pdf for me? Thanks for any help

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Feb 24, 2018 12:44 PM in response to: Meridian7
Re: Cover help - The cover is not properly sized for the selected trim size.

What is your selected trim size, and what is the size of the cover pdf?

Level 2 119 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
2. Feb 26, 2018 12:25 PM in response to: Meridian7

The question Oreohelix asked is necessary to help you.  In the meantime, I'll just add that once you have the info, if you have a jpg of the cover art it should be easy enough to fix the problem.

Level 5 19,527 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 26, 2018 1:02 PM in response to: Meridian7

All things being equal . . . that is the cover is properly proportioned but does not have a bleed, for example . . . the cover can be enlarged and it can be stretch and shrunk a surprising amount without it necessarily being obvious.  I had to squeeze a premade cover for a client from 12 x 12 to 6 x 9 yesterday, and it was not obvious.

You can do this in a program like Irfanview or Xnview, both are small, and free!

Or you can download a cover template from Bookow  You can open this is a full featured graphics program.  Then copy and paste the cover art into this file.  With guidelines and/or the opacity slider, you can position the existing art exactly where it needs to be.  Select it, and change the size to fit the template.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Feb 26, 2018 4:27 PM in response to: Meridian7

Did you upload the PDF directly, or did you try to use the Cover Creator? (Don't do this)

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...