Skip navigation
6,771 Views 30 Replies Last post: Aug 28, 2018 7:46 AM by WalterB RSS Go to original post
Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 27, 2014
Currently Being Moderated
15. Feb 27, 2018 10:36 AM in response to: Mattman
Re: Book suppressed

Thank you!!

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 2, 2012
16. Apr 17, 2018 1:55 PM in response to: PPD92

Yesterday evening, while checking my sales ranking on Amazon, I realized my most recent title was suppressed. I called CreateSpace and was told to contact the Content Validation Request team <validation-request@createspace.com>.

In my email response to them, I explained that I was the copyright holder. I also informed them that I am an active blogger. I gave them my blog address and explained that I optimize my blog content relating to chapters of my book to increase the online and social media visibility of my book. Because of this, Amazon's algorithms might not be able to detect or differentiate between which version(s) (original source & related works) to include/exclude from their copyright infringement searches.

This afternoon, less than 24hrs later, my book is currently available. Interestingly, I did not receive a response explaining why my book was suppressed and why it was restored. Even so, I am happy the resolution turnaround time was quick.

Stay diligent. Be polite in your response to the Content Validation team, as they have the power to determine how/when/if your book will sell. Lastly, be sure to keep backups of all your writings. A simple email to self will suffice.

I wish everyone the best!

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 22, 2014
17. Jul 16, 2018 2:36 PM in response to: PPD92

My own book just became suppressed. How do I proceed from here? I've never published with a traditional publisher - the work I've submitted on CreateSpace is my OWN which has been on here for over 4 years now.

Level 0 3 posts since
Apr 2, 2016
18. Jul 27, 2018 8:05 AM in response to: Eetheart

Add me to the list of being suppressed and the black hole that follows. Going on day 3 now with no word/updates/email responses.
I will be migrating my new releases to a new and more communicative platform in future.

Level 2 502 posts since
Feb 1, 2016
19. Jul 31, 2018 3:02 AM in response to: FuriousFotog

I think before people jump ship, it's probably better not to overreact and just try to get it sorted out.  Generally, at worst it takes about a week for them to deal with it.  It used to be much quicker, but I've a feeling they must have altered the automatic scanning algorithm, which bring up more false positives.

I've had seven or eight titles suppressed since I joined CS, mainly due to some of my content being similar to content in my other titles from the same musical instruction series.  It's very annoying I know, but by moving your books to another platform, you'll miss out on things like Amazon Prime and the simplicity of CS's platform.  Your best bet is to double up your titles on IngramSpark as well - that's what I do, so suppression isn't as damaging as only having a book CS.

Others have said, be polite and give them solid reasons why your work is original.  Simply stating it's your own work also seems to carry some weight.

Tobe

Level 0 11 posts since
Dec 2, 2007
20. Jul 31, 2018 8:52 AM in response to: tagrich

Jump ship. I had the same problem recently, involving the third edition of a book that was suppressed.  I just finished moving all of my CS titles to KDP Print.  Super easy to do and my suppression problems immediately ceased.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 27, 2018
21. Aug 1, 2018 9:32 AM in response to: PPD92

Is there any indication of how much extract content from a book we can put up on a blog post without this happening?

Level 0 1 posts since
May 23, 2011
22. Aug 19, 2018 5:09 AM in response to: Abdul1234

It is now mid-August, 2018, and this issue is still with us.

I uploaded a book I own. I wrote it. all original material -- I published it over four rears ago as an eBook, and have since re-published an updated version and decided to make a paperversion available.

They sent an email telling me 'something' is wrong regarding question of ownership of material, but state nothing about what aspect of the book they're questioning. to make things worse' the darned "Suppressed" label makes it impossible to do anything about anything.

Bots suck. Vague notices with no mention of recourse I hate even more.

They really need to fix this problem.

Level 1 16 posts since
Mar 12, 2010
23. Aug 19, 2018 12:39 PM in response to: Oneadem

The problem won't get fixed, it keeps getting worse. One of my books has been in a perpetual loop for the past seven days. I get a CV request, I answer politely, I get the thumbs up message, the book goes into review .... before I can proof the book, this process starts all over again. Welcome to Groundhog day. Today we celebrate the third lap in this strange race. I sent them a separate email today, detailing what is happening there. Waiting for an answer yet.

I think (seriously) that the bots are causing havoc in the system and the few humans, that seemingly are still there, can't sideline them. Even if the whole CS portfolio would be no more than a rounding error in the whole Amazon business universe, the processes implemented there are not only 17th century, they are just not fitting to a billion dollar company.

Level 0 63 posts since
Jan 6, 2013
24. Aug 21, 2018 4:21 PM in response to: PPD92

Add another victim... replied immediately and kindly. There is some irony in the fact there questions are answered in the book. It’s somewhat encouraging to know I am not alone.i am on a timeline that is critical so I really need resolution reasonably quickly. I agree with those who say “don’t be hasty,” but the overall direction of CS is less than encouraging. If I were inclined, I could be insulted by the tone of the email which actually threatened to terminate my account. Some body at CS might consider that artificial intelligence is an oxymoron.

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 22, 2014
25. Aug 23, 2018 10:51 AM in response to: PPD92

The situation has been solved for me. You have to reach out to the team with an email (a reply to the original email) and let them know this is your original content.

Inconvenient, for sure, but I'm glad it got sorted out.

Level 0 63 posts since
Jan 6, 2013
26. Aug 23, 2018 11:29 AM in response to: Eetheart

I've been updating on another thread... I replied and got an okay, so we are in the same place. But others have said it the solution doesn't last. The bot ends up suppressing the book again (sometimes within a day or two) and you get caught in a loop that seems inescapable, mostly because it's automated and no real people are involved. I have my fingers crossed... really can't afford continued delays, have a national release planned and am on a timeline that didn't anticipate this problem. Apparently, it's been going on for since earlier this year--scary stuff, particularly if (when?) it starts happening to already published titles.

Level 0 1 posts since
Aug 15, 2017
27. Aug 23, 2018 5:49 PM in response to: PPD92

I'm going through this problem at the moment. After obtaining copyright approval from the copyright holder (a national library), I published a previously unpublished book manuscript.  Suddenly CreateSpace suppressed it, first stating that (a) it appeared to be a work in the public domain, and they did not publish such works unless they substationally differed, or (b) it may be under copyright and I would need to show copyright approval. Fair enough.

Given the work contains my own scholarly introduction, extensive translations from French and Latin, and over a hundred footnotes, it was certainly an original work, but I also forwarded the email from the Library that granted me approval. Creative Space came back requesting more documentation. Back I went to the Library requesting this. The Library took MONTHS to get back to me, but I finally obtained a more formal statement of approval from them. I forwarded this email to Creative Space. What was the result? A form email saying they need more documentation. After the months of waiting from the national library to deliver a reply, this was frustating to say the least, as you may imagine.

I replied to Creative Space asking what more documentation did they require? After all, an email with headers will stand up in court as a valid legal document. So what was their reply? "Hello....Sorry for the confusion. With the provided information this title can't be published in the Amazon Europe distribution channel neither Amazon US." How unhelpful and confusing is this? In other words, a stone wall. I've asked for further information.

It's incredibly frustating, and seriously scares me, as I had planned to publish another work through CreativeSpace. But with such arbitrary author service, can I risk it? I can only guess that the Validation Team have to answer an enormous amount of emails, and simply don't have time to properly read replies and provide genuinely helpful responses. But given my own experience, I believe it's an area requiring serious attention. I still don't know what pertains to my own case. So far I haven't earned a bean from the book: I published it in good faith simply to bring it to other scholars, but it's become a situation of "no good deed goes unpunished"! I'm really feeling hurt at the moment, and don't know what to do.

Level 0 29 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
28. Aug 27, 2018 1:20 PM in response to: PJPO

CreateSpace has some kind of master file of keywords-if your book has the keywords in the title, you automatically get flagged and suppressed. The deicison is automated. When you email createspace or call them, nothing happens. I have even receievd emails that say "your title will move to the review process, after 24 hours blah blah blah" after I told them my suppressed book was flagged in error. And then nothing happened.

Createspace is garbage-there are very few human beings doing any of the work other than the print publishing and basic file review. Everything is done by vendors and is oursourced, and the vendors have limited impact-they can send emails to people in charge, but really, the system won't do anything about anything. All communication is siloed, and if you make it out of the silo, because you are not the one requesting communication, there is no accountability. Everything works fine unless the system requires any human input, and then it's a crapshoot. There seems to be about a 1 in 4 chance any problems get solved in my experience.

I am abandoning the platform, because putting too many of one's eggs in the createspace basket is foolish and involved a high level of risk. I have had numerous titles flagged and suppressed, and most of the time, requesting help is a shot in the dark. I am sure the system will eventually decide that I have too many titles suppressed and will kill my entire account.

Ever wonder why the terms of service says they can remove any title for any reason? This way, their semi-automated system can act with no accountability.

Level 0 29 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
29. Aug 28, 2018 6:40 AM in response to: Eetheart

I have also been told that my title was taken out of suppressed status. Sometimes this actually happens, sometimes not. Weeks later, titles are still suppressed. But not all of the ones taken down, so there's that.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...