Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
895 Views 1 Reply Last post: Mar 8, 2018 5:28 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 15 posts since
Oct 19, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2018 5:03 PM

Amazon uses own printers?

Hello there,

When someone buys a book from Amazon, will it look like the preview samples that I order from CS? (I know each print is not perfect and can differ everytime a new one is made; I am not wondering about that.)

What I am specifically wondering is if Amazon will have it's own printing machines and standards of printing dimensions/configurations. If they do, then I am assuming that printing will look different from CS's printing -- especially if they print on their own machines.

Thank you very much,

Named

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
1. Mar 8, 2018 5:28 AM in response to: Named
Re: Amazon uses own printers?

Streaking, like this,

is a maintenance problem.  I agree with Michelle in general, black and white books were intended to be black and white books (novels, poetry, etc.), But if CS can print a black character from 2 pt to 200 pt, it can print line art.  If it can print line art, it can print coloring books.  There is no difference between characters and lines.  As for jaggies:

Here, anti-aliaxing, producing a gary pixel between the black pixels along the edge, called hinting with text, generally solves the problem.  However, with line art, 1-bit, balck and white with no grays, then you need to use a higher resolution:

The irregularities you see at 800 dpi under magnification are due to paper fibers and how the ink follows those contours.

If your books are consently being printed badly, try to find out where they were printed, better still is a scan of the back page.  I had a client who did a book of his paintings.  On and order of 250 copies every copy was printed badly (pages were folded/creased/before trimming, there were several images with scratches, the cover simply fell off . . . every copy . . . CS was apparently able to direct that his book not be printed at a specific location (in this case, it was marked San Bernardino)..

If your art is prepared correctly, it should print ok with CS.  I would expect no less.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...