Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
165 Views 3 Replies Last post: Mar 10, 2018 7:20 AM by AcousticWords RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Aug 8, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2018 11:15 AM

Increasing resolution of pictures

I will warn you ahead of time - I have very little technical knowledge, so any answer that includes a lot of tech lingo will go right over my head. I need something relatively simple - click on this, click on that - that sort of thing.

Having said that:

I am trying to upload both a cover illustration and interior illustrations. Most of them have been accepted. However, the cover and a couple of the interior illustrations have been tagged as less than 300 dpi.

The cover illustration is a photo from my iPhone that I imported to Picasa and to which I added text (title, author). CS tells me it is 273 dpi and needs to be 300. I've tried seeking out online converters, and none of them have helped, probably because I didn't know what I was doing. CS wants a cover image that is 6.25" by 9.5" and 300 dpi, and I don't know if I have to covert the inches to pixels or if I even need to worry about that - the image in the cover preview fits very nicely, except for the dpi issues. I've tried a couple of online converters, but when I upload the results they've given me to CS, it still tells me the images are 273 dpi. Some online suggestions have included adjusting the dpi in Paint, but my computer has Paint 3D which, while cool, is impossible for me to figure out. I can't even figure out how to download my photo from Picasa to Paint 3D. Does anyone have a simple way to achieve my ultimate goal?

In a related question, three or four of my interior illustrations are also below the recommended threshhold, by a significant amount. They are black-and-white pen-and-ink (actually more like Sharpie) sketches that I scanned on an HP Envy 4500 and then edited in Picasa. From what I've read, it appears that the resolution of my scanner has something to do with it, but I have no idea what it scans at or how to even find out. Again, any help anyone can give to a technological illiterate would be welcome. My collection of short stories and poems is ready to go except for this issue.

Level 5 12,914 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
2. Mar 9, 2018 9:44 AM in response to: AcousticWords
Re: Increasing resolution of pictures

AcousticWords wrote:

CS wants a cover image that is 6.25" by 9.5" and 300 dpi, and I don't know if I have to covert the inches to pixels

6.25 inches x 300 pixels per inch = 1875 pixels

9.5 inches x 300 pixels per inch = 2850 pixels

Use IrfanView to resize/resample the image to 1875x2850 pixels at 300 dpi.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...