This discussion is archived
1,626 Views 16 Replies Last post: Jun 12, 2018 5:04 PM by ZeeshanArafath RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 2 posts since
Feb 9, 2018
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2018 9:08 AM

hello my name is thomas

I would like to get my name out there you know what i mean?

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Feb 27, 2018 9:16 AM in response to: haslomtee
Re: hello my name is thomas

Are the *the* Thomas from West Palm beach?

If so, I dare say you're already pretty famous.

Level 4 2,944 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Feb 27, 2018 10:20 AM in response to: haslomtee

Getting your name "out there" is a piece of cake. Killroy solved that problem decades ago. Getting book sales, now that's a different story.

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 1, 2018
3. Mar 1, 2018 9:10 AM in response to: haslomtee

Hi Thomas nice to meet you,

My name is Daniel, I write about food and restaurants for places to eat near me.

If you want to get your name out there you might also want to get your own website.

Good luck!

Level 0 9 posts since
Oct 7, 2010
4. Mar 7, 2018 7:40 AM in response to: Phoenix61

I recently signed up, and to welcome Thomas was my good intention of the morning - then I see your snarky comment.

Is that really necessary?  We are all authors of differing backgrounds and differeing opinions.  To start adding in political opinions, unless you are actually on a political opinion post, is really rude.

There are many of us who voted for Trump, like it or not, and he was the better choice for us.  He was the better choice for ME.  Trump voters aren't stupid. We are educated and although we don't agree with you politically, we do business with you, are friends with you and live in the same world as you do. Stop being a child and act like an adult. Treat those of us with different opinions than yours with respect, and you'll get respect in return.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
5. Jun 12, 2018 10:00 PM in response to: LDStevens

Oh, boo hoo to you. Ever heard of political satire? Shame on you for hitting the abuse button and enforcing cencorship. What's next, a book burning? The OP was asking a ridiculously generic question with practically no other information to go on. He deserved a ribbing.

Level 1 83 posts since
Mar 31, 2016
6. Mar 8, 2018 12:25 PM in response to: haslomtee

What's up thomas?

Level 0 9 posts since
Oct 7, 2010
7. Mar 8, 2018 3:10 PM in response to: Phoenix61

Phoenix 61 - How old are you?  You act like a 22 year old frat boy, 'ribbing' (aka - hazing) someone new here who obviously just wanted to start a conversation.

Yes, I hit the abuse button on your comments as they are not appropriate for what the OP initially asked about.  Political opinions and death wishes on the President ISN'T the kind of feedback Thomas was requesting.

I see you have nearly 800 posts here, and I have read some of them.  In my opinion, you are a bitter person, who likes to make snarky comments on legitimate posts and you offer NO solid advice to anyone.  You prefer the vicious critique, to friendly and helpful advice. Are you jealous or worried that someone might actually sell more books than you do?  As you sit in front of your keyboard and belittle everyone, your self-inflated ego must be reaching the ceiling by now.

You offer zero, useable advice, only raw, ugly criticism.

My next move is blocking you.  While I like this forum, your opinions mean nothing and I don't wish to see your vitriol popping up on every post, thread or discussion.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
8. Jun 12, 2018 10:00 PM in response to: LDStevens

You are absolutely, one hundred percent correct. I have helped no one at all in my time on this forum, that's why I only have three stars, gained only when forum members give you accreditation for having answered their questions correctly. As opposed to yourself with only two posts in all that time with CS, only to jump in and defend some newbie who asked an absurd question and has failed to even return! I would be so deeply upset if you blocked me that I might cry.

I may even be banned from the forum if you kicked up enough of a fuss. Gee, wouldn't that be a shame not having to wade through the endless stream of spam to finally get to a post asking such a ridiculous question that it is not worth answering. And heaven help me that I might no longer be able to review someone's writing who has not even put the effort in to use free grammar software! Now, I am really worried about what you can do and what your comments mean to me.

Worried that someone may outsell me?? Hah, everyone outsells me. This is a hobby to me and nothing more, that is why I do not take it all so seriously as you seem to. I even joke around a little. My humour may not be to your taste, but I assure you that many a cartoon satirist has made harsher jokes than my little jest. Check out a newspaper sometime.

If someone comes on here after having researched the forum with a legitimate question, then I am all ears and will help if I am able. If I can save one newbie from being eviscerated by a reviewer on Amazon for all the world to see, that sticks with their name forever, then I am happy, regardless of how they feel about me. Believe it or not, we get asked to review people's work here sometimes, and idiots who heap praise on someone for an abysmally punctuated, grammatically incorrect effort do no one any favours. But what would I know, I haven't managed to help anyone.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
9. Mar 8, 2018 8:16 PM in response to: Phoenix61

OMG!!!!! I just figured it out. I know the OP from over at the  KDP forum asking the same question and whining about lack of sales.  HERE is what the OP wants to ask about. This is the masterpiece  @ $61.99 USD for a 97 page 'book'  he would like to be known for. Fair-dinkum folks! It's real. It's out there for sale. If anyone can actually read it, they are cleverer than this old fossil.

Level 4 2,944 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
10. Mar 8, 2018 9:46 PM in response to: Phoenix61

I took a look at it. Colorful. And the formatting's . . . unusual.

Level 5 4,129 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
11. Mar 9, 2018 1:08 AM in response to: LDStevens

LDStevens wrote:

In my opinion, you are a bitter person, who likes to make snarky comments on legitimate posts and you offer NO solid advice to anyone.  You prefer the vicious critique, to friendly and helpful advice. Are you jealous or worried that someone might actually sell more books than you do?  As you sit in front of your keyboard and belittle everyone, your self-inflated ego must be reaching the ceiling by now.

And whatever you think, this also falls into the category of personal abuse. Tempting as it may be at times, best not to fall prey.

Level 0 9 posts since
Oct 7, 2010
12. Mar 9, 2018 7:22 PM in response to: Maaku

No, I'm not going to stop short of calling a bully, a bully. This guy, Phoenix61, seems to take great joy in being harsh and extra critical of new people to this forum.

If someone asks a dumb question, like "How do I get my name out there," is it really his responsibility to say that killing President Trump would be a good way of 'getting your name out there," and "Even better if Ivanka was with him"? and then researching this author's work and ripping it to shreds? Is it really?  Wouldn't the lack of sales be enough of an indication that Thomas' name may never get out there as an author?  Phoenix61 also posted that he felt it was his DUTY to stop this author's career in its tracks... as if he were the God Supreme of chosing worthy authors.

Kindle and Amazon have created a vehicle in which anyone who can string a couple of sententences together, can become published.  Obviously, this will enable mediocre writers to engage in vanity publishing. But there can also be a Hemingway hidden among the lumps of coal. Is it Phoenix61's obligation to tell every writer who fails to impress him that a successful and profitable writing isn't in the cards for them?  It isn't. It's not any of our responsibility.

It IS our responsibility to offer help when asked, direct them toward information that can help, and then move on. Mocking a person's work is childish and frankly, very ugly.

Phoenix61, although he may have racked up a lot of brownie points for responding to queries, is at the bottom of the well for handing out kindness and generosity.

Level 3 854 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
13. Mar 9, 2018 8:10 PM in response to: LDStevens

If I didn't know better, I would surmise that you didn't like me?????? I know it can't be true because you didn't block me.

Level 0 9 posts since
Oct 7, 2010
14. Mar 10, 2018 12:27 PM in response to: Phoenix61

Who knows, Phoenix... maybe we'll be best friends some day

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...