Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

3,168 Views 16 Replies Last post: Apr 15, 2018 10:46 AM by Notjohn RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 20 posts since
Jul 27, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2018 6:11 AM

Createspace vs KDP

Hey guys,

What is the difference between Createspace and KDP??  What I can see is, Createspace has 'Expanded Distribution' and Kdp doesn't, while Kdp can put your book on Kindle and publish it as a paperback. But, so can Createspace (I think).

So, what are the differences, and which isn't??

Level 5 5,595 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Feb 4, 2018 6:19 AM in response to: damouk23
Re: Createspace vs KDP

damouk23 wrote:

What I can see is, Createspace has 'Expanded Distribution' and Kdp doesn't...

Correct.

...while Kdp can put your book on Kindle and publish it as a paperback. But, so can Createspace (I think).

No, CS doesn't handle ebooks. They just send print-ready PDFs over to KDP for ebook publishing.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 2 257 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
2. Feb 4, 2018 7:24 AM in response to: damouk23

The principal difference is that KDP does a good job of helping us publish ebooks, while CreateSpace does a good job of helping us publish paperbacks.

Conversely, KDP does a poor job with paperbacks, and CS does a poor job with ebooks. As Sarah says with respect to CS conversion to digital, it simply sends over a PDF, and that rarely works out very well.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: https://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Level 5 13,021 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Feb 4, 2018 8:59 AM in response to: damouk23

KDP Print is technically still a "beta" program, so a few print edition features and functions that CreateSpace offers are not available -- for example, custom trim sizes. On the other hand, KDP Print offer some benefits that CreateSpace doesn't -- such as printing proofs and author copies in Europe and shipping them from there (which is a major time and cost savings for members in Europe).

I think most authors/publishers who've been using CreateSpace for several years are continuing to do so for their print editions. But a lot of first-time self-publishing authors are choosing KDP for both print and ebook, mainly for the convenience of having sales reports and royalty payments for both editions managed through one account, rather than having two separate accounts for the Kindle ebook (KDP) and print (CreateSpace) editions.

Level 4 2,834 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
5. Feb 8, 2018 9:59 AM in response to: damouk23

damouk23 wrote:

I hope to have my book out on Amazon in the late part of February to around about mid-March.  Will be so glad to see it published.  I don't know what it feels like, as this is my first book, but I presume the feeling is out of this world?  I let you guys tell me the feeling of seeing your first book published.

When my first book was published (by Fawcett), I celebrated with steak and champagne. When my second book was published, I went to Taco Bell.

Level 5 19,527 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 8, 2018 10:09 AM in response to: damouk23

You don't say who you decided to go with.

Another member here posted (https://forums.createspace.com/en/community/message/563023#563023) that he went with KDP Print because it:

• It offered a printed proof. and
  • it would be printed in the UK where he lives

But he reports:

I up loaded the files and it went through the proofing process.  Only a  small niggle of them claiming that my 300 dpi images were only 100 dpi  so had to go back and check. The checking process happens on line with  KDP instead of offline as with CS.  After half and hour or so with them  suggesting I might like to go and have a coffee or a sandwich the on ine  proofer ca\me up.  It is compulsory to go throught that process and  then it also appears to be compulsory to approve the digital version.   There is a box to tick to say you want proof copies but you still have  to approve the digital version.  Well I have nothing to lose on this  project so I carried on then "congratulations your book is published!!"

And the book was live.  If this is true, there is no good reason to use KDP, except author copies in Europe are less expensive.

Perhaps some of the other forum members who like KDP Print can address this issue.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
8. Feb 9, 2018 6:27 AM in response to: damouk23

At this stage of the CS vs KDP game, I'm staying with CS, too.

Although I have posted a comparison chart showing listed differences based on their respective guidelines, one issue, that of proof/author copies and that it might turn out that "proof" copies can only be obtained after the book has been published (as noted above), no one here has clarified that.  Other than printing and shipping in Europe for European custmoers, that was the only benefit I could see to going with KDP Print.

Walton

Level 4 2,834 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
9. Feb 9, 2018 10:04 AM in response to: walton

Me three for staying with CreateSpace. However, I stick with trim sizes that are supported by IngramSpark.

Sep 5, 2009
10. Feb 9, 2018 10:27 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

That makes at least five of us.  Soon, who knows, maybe CS will see a boom in users.

W

Level 0 3 posts since
Feb 5, 2010
12. Apr 13, 2018 12:28 PM in response to: damouk23

A recent change has been made by Amazon when working with CreateSpace. Now when your book description is passed to Amazon from CreateSpace, Amazon ignores all carriage returns embedded in the text file. Although CreateSpace says "Plain Text is the preferrred format for your description", that is no longer true, unless your description is a single paragraph. If it is a multiple line paragraph, Amazon will turn it into one paragraph.

This is true for CreateSpace PODs (paperbacks) that have been on Amazon for years and the Carriage Returns works as planned. Better check them out. All your pargraph breaks are now gone. The Kindle book description is still good, just the CreateSpace POD on Amazon is messed up.

This is an Amazon change, not a CreateSpace change. Your carriage returns are all still OK on Barnes & Noble - so neither CS of Ingram are eliminating the Carriage Returns.

You will now need to go back to your CreateSpace description and add <br> HTML tags to your description so it appears correctly on Amazon. Making this change will not affect your text on Ingram or Baker & Taylor. They also accept the HTML tags.

This is a sneaky little change. How many authors check both their EBook and paperback presentation on Amazon on a regular basis? If you check your book, Amazon defaults to the EBook version.

Level 0 3 posts since
Feb 5, 2010
14. Apr 14, 2018 2:01 PM in response to: damouk23

That is why it's Sneaky. Neither Amazon or CS is notifying authors.

You have to experience it. I've been using CS since 2013 for myself and other authors who I help publish. I would estimate I've published approximately 20-25 books on CS. In the past, Amazon took the Carriage Returns - now it ignores them.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...