Skip navigation
438 Views 4 Replies Last post: Jun 20, 2018 1:13 PM by TheFlow RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Feb 3, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2018 10:41 AM

Is CreateSpace ending publishing in July?

Hi there -

I am sorry to post something with a headline like that, but another writer who I have encouraged to use CreateSpace wrote me to say that she heard that CreateSpace was no longer going to be publishing after July 1. I wrote in to customer service to ask about this, but I only got a response saying taht the agent "couldn't comment on the future of the company." Not so helpful.

I've googled this (of course), and from what I can determine, CreateSpace will just not be doing design work anymore, but if you've got a complete book (or a future completed book), then everything is fine - they will still be publishing and distributing as normal.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks! Tara

Level 5 5,705 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jun 20, 2018 10:55 AM in response to: TheFlow
Re: Is CreateSpace ending publishing in July?

TheFlow wrote:

...CreateSpace will just not be doing design work anymore, but if you've got a complete book (or a future completed book), then everything is fine - they will still be publishing and distributing as normal.

That has been the gist of the official communication thus far. They discontinued author services (editing and design) in April, but there has been no announcement about them ceasing printing and distribution functions.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 2 223 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
2. Jun 20, 2018 12:12 PM in response to: TheFlow
Re: Is CreateSpace ending publishing in July?

See:

https://1106design.com/2018/01/shuttering-createspaces-services-authors/

As reported by a local newspaper The Post and Courier, Amazon has laid off fifty-eight employees in its North Charleston, South Carolina office. The services division will close in July 2018. The article says:

Amazon’s self-publishing service, Createspace, is laying off workers in its editing, marketing and design division in July because the company is getting out of the business of offering services to writers.

Additionally:

“After a thorough review of our service offerings, we’ve made the decision to discontinue Createspace’s paid professional editing, design and marketing services,” Amazon said in a statement. “We will work closely with impacted employees through this transition to help them find new roles within the company or assist them with pursuing opportunities outside the company.”

This announcement comes on the heels of CreateSpace shuttering its e-store in the fall of 2017.

While there is no announcement on their home page that they will no longer provide self-publishing services, CreateSpace is advising authors via email that after April 20, 2018, they will no longer fulfill any paid professional services, including any text or design changes to cover or interior files that have been completed.

Print books and eBooks currently available for sale on Amazon are not affected by this announcement

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/amazon-laying-off-workers-at-north-charleston-self-publishing-business/article_d623bb16-f7d0-11e7-bef2-d3a151f19a96.html#comments

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...