This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
3,989 Views 5 Replies Last post: Apr 21, 2010 4:28 PM by BowlOfCherries RSS
Level 0 14 posts since
Nov 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2010 9:38 AM

Kindle vs. Smashwords

My book "Adventures of a Lightworker: Dead End Date" is out in print, and I am looking to make it available via electronic means. I was looking to do Amazon/Kindle, but after hearing about Smashwords and their new agreement with Kindle and their in-place agreements with B&N, Sony, etc., it seems like that might be the way to go. It looks like there might be a little bit of a delay in getting on Kindle as the agreement is new, but that, overall, this would be the simpler choice. Any thoughts on this? What conclusions have you reached?

Thanks,

Caroline A. Shearer

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lightworker-Dead-End-Date/dp/0615339328

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
1. Apr 21, 2010 10:24 AM in response to: CarolineShearer
Re: Kindle vs. Smashwords

While that is a simpler one-step process to just go through Smashwords to get on Amazon, the delay since I don't know if Smashwords has started sending stuff to Amazon yet, may make it easier if you use Smashwords to get into the other platforms and just do Kindle yourself.

I use Smashwords to sell via their site, B&N, Apple and Sony but opted out of allowing them to put my book on Kindle since I set my own titles up on Kindle via the DTP site that Kindle/Amazon has. It's quicker than allowing Smashwords to do it.

Level 2 253 posts since
Nov 28, 2008
2. Apr 21, 2010 10:34 AM in response to: CarolineShearer

Hi, Caroline!  I've done both.  I have my book available on Amazon (Kindle) and on Smashwords with the Amazon distribution option turned off and the other options (Apple, Sony, kobobooks) turned on. My thinking: one less hand in the broth for Amazon sales and its easy enough to upload book to Amazon.  Not sure if you did the Amazon distribution option via Smashwords if/how your categories / keywords would carry over.  You also only get 200 character description on Smashwords.  You get 2000 characters with Amazon .  Although if you chose Smashwords you could always go directly into Amazon update page and lengthen description afterwards probably.

Cheers,

Regina

http://www.reginapacelli.com

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
3. Apr 21, 2010 11:25 AM in response to: CarolineShearer

Do both. Smashwords has the Ipad agreement. BUT my Kindle version has been a bestseller for over two months now whilst smashwords has yet to sell a single copy.

Level 2 253 posts since
Nov 28, 2008
5. Apr 21, 2010 4:28 PM in response to: CarolineShearer

There was a press release awhile back that said something to the effect that at the end of June Amazon was raising it's royalty to 70% with some caveats (book price must be between $2.99 and $9.99, etc).  You can find more info about it at:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100120005644&newsLang=en

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...