Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
552 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jul 30, 2018 7:26 AM by Klamb17 RSS
Level 0 15 posts since
Jul 22, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2018 1:39 PM

Getting worried about coloring book, would like advice please.

I am working on a adult coloring book for fall. I started this last year and put it down...now I want to finish and publish it. I have already figured out most of it, but one thing has me worried and is really keeping me up at night lol.

I am creating all of my pages in Procreate on my Ipad pro, they are hand drawn images. My lines are not extremely thick, I like thinner lines for adult coloring. My biggest problem is, I'm concerned over the image quality. Procreate uses raster images. I have printed some out and its nice, but doesn't look like a professional coloring book page. I mean if I get in the light I can see(barely) tiny pixels (and I am really being picky). It's not jumping out at you, like a really poorly drawn image.

The only program I have is Adobe Photoshop, and I downloaded Inkscape. I have tried to change it over to a vector image, but the odd thing is when you save it to a PDF, it has to be converted back to raster image. SOOOO...I printed out two, not too much difference. I do notice a better quality if I adjust the contrast and darkness on my saved png image.

Is this something to be really concerned with? Is my home printer not AS good as the printing done at Createspace? Im sure their quality is better then my canon inkjet printer, and I would think their printed pages would look better.

Thanks for your help!!! I really appreciate it!!

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Jul 27, 2018 7:55 AM in response to: Klamb17
Re: Getting worried about coloring book, would like advice please.

Because Procreate is a screen-based drawing app, image resolution isn't necessarily managed for print output the way you might expect.

When you open one of your full-page raster images (that was created with Procreate) in Photoshop, what are the pixel dimensions? The height and width should be at least 300 pixels per inch (for example, if the artwork is 8 x 10 inches, the pixel dimensions should be at least 2400 x 3000 pixels). If it is less than that, then that's the first issue to deal with.

Also be aware that PNG images have built-in transparency and (with most software) are optimized by default for screen output when saving. Because of that, problems may arise when exporting to print-ready PDF, and/or when processing that PDF for book printing. When preparing images specifically for commercial print output, it may be better to save the final image (the one to be inserted into page layout) in the JPG format at highest quality, lowest compression.

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Jul 29, 2018 1:52 PM in response to: Klamb17

Klamb17 wrote:

When I open my PNG images from my Ipad, (which are 300 to 600 dpi) the resolution in photoshop says 72? lol I have no idea why.

As I mentioned, it is a screen application and software written for Macs and iPads generally assumes a 72 dpi screen display.

When I create a new image on my Ipad, I choose, 7.50x9.25 (this is my book size, and I already know about bleeds) and I set the resolution to either 400 to 600. Am I suppose to do it another way?

In this context, dpi really means ppi (pixels per inch). For best print quality, you need the image to have 300 ppi of height and width (at the size it will print) if you're creating color or 8-bit grayscale images, or 600 ppi if you're saving the artwork as 1-bit monochrome images. So for the latter, if you want to end up with a 7.5x9.25 monochrome image with 600 ppi resolution, it must be 4500 x 5550 pixels in size.

[7.5 inches x 600 pixels per inch = 4500 pixels]

[9.25 x 600 = 5550]

If you have a 4500x5550 pixel image, that image will be 7.5"x9.25" at 600 dpi. It will also be 62.5"x77.08" at 72 dpi, and that might be what's displayed if you're working in a screen app that has 72 dpi as the default resolution. Focusing on the desired pixel dimensions (rather than inches and dpi) can help avoid confusion.

Level 0 2 posts since
May 26, 2016
6. Jul 30, 2018 5:13 AM in response to: Klamb17

I just made a series of four videos about my experience making a Createspace picture book, "Sky to Space: Astronomy Beyond the Basics." Go to https://youtu.be/RE8-REUNcTg and see what you think. I used GIMP, a free Photoshop alternative. In my experience, it was good to import the art at highest possible resolution to provide maximum options for editing. Then I used the Levels function in GIMP (Photoshop has the same thing) to control what would be pure white, what would be pure black, and where the middle tones would come out. This also had some effect on apparent thickness of my pencil lines. This was important because my cheap monitor could not show small flaws in the pure black or white areas. My interior content is black and white, but my cover is in color. I was pleased with how the color came out. Best wishes for success!

Steve Fentress

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...