Skip navigation
276 Views 3 Replies Last post: Aug 2, 2018 1:51 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Dec 27, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2018 5:57 AM

Question of breaks...

How does CS want or handel *** or single line breaks?  Does it even matter here?

Level 5 5,655 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Aug 2, 2018 7:35 AM in response to: FRRH
Re: Question of breaks...

As the publisher, it's entirely up to you. CS prints what you upload, provided it meets their printing specs, found here.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,168 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Aug 2, 2018 1:51 PM in response to: FRRH
Re: Question of breaks...

I assume you mean a section break indicating a change in time or place, etc.

Keep in mind that most typographical customs are intended to help the reader.  Many now have an aesthetic quality, but that's arguably because of how often they are used, not some inherent design formulation.

Changes from what is customary are done with some risk.  Everyone who might read your book, has already read a book, and has some familiarity with what books look like.  They might not know the names of things, or even how to define some aspect of book design, but they "know" what a book should look like.  If you deviate from that, you may make a reader uncomfortable.  You only have so much credit with a reader.  Save it for typos or a poorly crafted sentence.  Don't squander it by being clever.

In answer to your question:

CS will print anything you submit as long as it meets the CS guidelines--I believe Sarah gave you a link to it. How you distinguish a section break, or whether you even have one where some might say you should is entirely up to you.

Some years ago I went through several hundred books, looking at things like how designers handled section breaks.  From memory: most used 2 or 3 blank lines; some use one or more asterisks.  I don't recall seeing a printer's flower/dingbat--although I use them often.  Slightly more than half indented the next paragraph, the rest set it no indentation. I like little ornaments, especially if they fit the style and genre of the book.

Whatever you do, be consistent throughout your book.  Take a look at Type & Typography, link below.

Given the spam here, come on over to  selfpublishingforum.  It's free.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...