Skip navigation
824 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 14, 2018 12:04 PM by Seisa RSS
Level 0 18 posts since
Sep 21, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 6, 2018 8:20 AM

Ingram Distribution (55% or 30% discount) What's your Experience?

I've just moved my books over to KDP and at the same time I also moved Expanded Distribution over to IngramSpark for a number of books (good thing they offer this easy process for transferring books by filling out a form!). When Ingram did the switch they set the discount at 45% and not returnable (and it can't be changed for a month). I thought the books wouldn't sell because I've read time and again that you MUST set a discount of 55% and books to returnable or else retailers won't purchase...

But I've found that wasn't the case as the books at 45% discount are selling quite well. So I've done some more research and found some people are discounting at 30%...

Why do some people swear on the importance of the greater discount while others are fine to do the smaller discount? What has been your experience... have you experienced higher royalties by doing the smaller discount? More or less unit sales?

It makes more sense to me that if you price your book higher but then increase the discount % retailers would be more likely to buy since they have a higher margin... but there would be less sales because the book is priced higher.

What about returns? These books were selling despite them NOT being returnable. If you were to guess what % less books do you think get sold because they're not returnable?

Level 5 5,668 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 6, 2018 10:21 AM in response to: bigvibes
Re: Ingram Distribution (55% or 30% discount) What's your Experience?

In practical terms, there are two wholesale discount options here, even though you can set the discount at any point in between them.

1. 55% discount, returnable - If you are marketing heavily to brick & mortar booksellers and have a very, VERY good chance of actually getting on their shelves, then this is where you'll need to be.
  2. 30% or 35% (depending on market), not returnable - For the vast majority of independent authors, this is the better option. Most indie's sales occur online. In view of this, using the lowest possible wholesale discount and setting the book to not returnable earns you the most revenue per sale. Booksellers will still likely list your book on their websites, and in most cases customers can special order your book in a physical bookstore.

In reality, IF (a very big if) a brick and mortar store is interested in your book, they will likely only order from Ingram if they receive the industry standard discount of 40% (the 55% IS wholesale discount, which gives the bookseller 40% after Ingram takes their 15% cut) and the book is returnable.

Setting the discount at any point between the minimum and 55% is just leaving money on the table as physical booksellers will not order it, but will still list it online, just as they would with the 30% or 35% discount.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Jan 17, 2010
3. Nov 6, 2018 10:44 AM in response to: bigvibes

bigvibes wrote:

In your experience does the not returnable / 30% discount result in less total sales but obviously higher royalties than if you had it returnable / 55%?

No idea. I set it low and not returnable.

Do the bricks and mortar stores like Barnes and Noble still list books on their online store if the discount is only 30%?

Yes.

Level 0 20 posts since
Dec 8, 2010
4. Nov 6, 2018 5:05 PM in response to: bigvibes

I have a few books with Ingramsparks and offered 40% discount non returnable. Amazon just display the books as " out of stock" then LSI told me that I should offer a discount of 53% but it is the choice of any bookseller to sell the book or not and at the price they want. I registered some books at 8.90USD and some bookstores sell them between 12 and 16 USD.

Can you tell me if Amazon sell all your books if you have offered 45% discount?

Thanks for sharing.

Level 0 20 posts since
Dec 8, 2010
6. Nov 13, 2018 4:46 PM in response to: bigvibes

Unfortunatly, I once tested to publish the same books with Ingramsparks and Createspace with the same ISBN number. I fixed 40% of discount (non returnable) but I noticed that all my books were out of stock on Amazon bookstores. Ingram gave me the piece of advice to allow 53% discount!

Jan 17, 2010
7. Nov 14, 2018 12:04 PM in response to: twirlandpeanut

If you use the same ISBN with both IngramSpark and CS/KDP Print, the book should appear in stock on Amazon because of the CS/KDP Print listing. If yours didn't, then I suspect there was something else going on. It wouldn't have anything to do with the IS wholesale discount.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...