Skip navigation
430 Views 1 Reply Last post: Dec 3, 2018 2:12 PM by a-h-k RSS
Level 1 242 posts since
Oct 6, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 23, 2018 11:01 AM

CIP manuscript submission changes; ONIX to be used to prepopulate fields

Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Program will offer a new method of submitting manuscripts for cataloging.

One account will be able to manage multiple publishers and imprints.  This will make my life easier, perhaps, as I do this work on behalf of a  number of very small publishers and self publishers. We're using the  word "imprint" as used in the publishing word, as a brand name for a  specific set of books published by the same publisher that may be  marketed to a similar audience, and not the way CreateSpace uses the  term.

The electronic galley can be a Microsoft Word document or .pdf. I'm not  sure this one's a good idea. I may stick with the marked up text file  for now.

Your ONIX metadata can be uploaded to pre-populate fields in the CIP  application. Hooray! Does this mean a self publisher can load BISAC  headings into the catalog record? Perhaps. BISAC isn't meant for library  cataloging work, but the more descriptive information, the better.

It's going to be called PrePub Book Link. They haven't announced the date of availability.

Cataloging for Publishers

will teach you:

• To catalog your book in publication, preparing it to be sold to libraries - CIP or PCN, LCCN, MARC21
  • To prepare your book for retail sale: ISBN, Bookland EAN barcode, title metadata: identifying your title and maintaining sales information with R.R. Bowker Books In Print and Bookwire, ONIX 3.0, BISAC Subject Codes 2017

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...