Skip navigation
869 Views 8 Replies Last post: Dec 11, 2018 4:39 AM by TheDesignHouse RSS
CreateSpaceLee Representative 57 posts since
Oct 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2018 10:55 AM

Update on the move from CreateSpace to KDP

In late August we announced that CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) are becoming one service, making KDP the single place to publish and manage paperback and digital books. Since then, we've seen thousands of authors successfully move to KDP on their own.

In the coming days, we'll start moving all remaining authors from CreateSpace to KDP. To ensure a quality experience, we'll be doing this in waves. As a result, starting today, you'll only be able to create paperbacks or change book files on KDP. You will not be able to make changes to book files or create new titles on CreateSpace. To access and make changes to your books, please log in to your CreateSpace account and follow the steps to move to KDP.

If we haven't moved your books for you and you'd prefer to move yourself, get started here.

At all points during the move, your paperbacks will remain available for sale and you’ll continue to earn royalties and maintain sales ranking as normal. We'll be in touch once the move to KDP is complete for all CreateSpace accounts.

Learn more about the move.

Level 0 28 posts since
Feb 13, 2011
1. Dec 2, 2018 11:11 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee
Re: Update on the move from CreateSpace to KDP

Thanks for the update, but the timing could not be worse. The next two weeks are the best time of the year to sell print books Amazon. We have several books loaded into KDP Print and KDP Print still is not ready for this change. It takes over one hour to update a book in KDP Print. We have almost 300 titles.

I strongly recommend CreateSpace delay this move until after Dec 25. This is like asking pilots to get up and change seats as a plane is approaching the runway.

Level 0 5 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
2. Dec 3, 2018 12:22 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

I so wish Amazon had made the Createspace to KDP change after Christmas.

I'm not sure how others are doing but I am 1,000's of books sales down since the move.

As a small publisher using KDP I'm really not looking forward to 2019.

So sorry Createspace was axed.

Level 2 400 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
3. Dec 6, 2018 3:52 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Quote 'Since then, we've seen thousands of authors successfully move to KDP on their own'.

Seriously? I've seen nothing but reports of errors since people moved their own books over.

Cover missing, or blank pages but cover ok, keywords & categories need to be changed or added, some people with lots of books say that all but one moved & that one is missing etc & that's only the faults I can remember reading about.

I'm dreading the move & hope that all of these faults have been corrected before you move mine.

There's no way I'm going to make the move until you push me over there.

I have nothing against KDP print, I'm very happy with my new perpetual calendar paperback (Sentiments) that I published with KDP, I'm just not sure that the switching problems have been sorted.

Level 0 28 posts since
Feb 13, 2011
4. Dec 6, 2018 4:45 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

This week we tried to move a title that was in draft mode with CreateSpace. We needed to update the cover but cannot due to the pending move. We requested that CreateSpace delete the title and remove it from our dashboard. The CreateSpace CSR did. We then tried to set up the title in KDP Print. KDP Print never accepted the ISBN even though the ISBN is registered correctly in Bowker and had passed CreateSpace approval. After three days of working with KDP Print and no one at KDP able to get past the ISBN error, we issued a new ISBN for the title and moved on.

The title went through KDP Print and is live. Of course, we had to update the cover and interior files and notifiy everyone on the author's launch team that there was a new Amazon link.

So yes, I am sure many have moved without error. The problem is those few who have issues. CreateSpace has, for the most part, great customer service and a process that works. KDP Print could take lessons from how CreateSpace works with authors and publishers.

Level 4 1,076 posts since
Sep 4, 2008
5. Dec 10, 2018 9:10 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

CreateSpace Account not ready for transfer

Your account cannot be moved to KDP right now. We are preparing your account and will automatically move it to KDP when it's ready. No action is needed from you and your sales and title availability will not be impacted. We will notify you via email once your account has been moved. This may take up to two weeks and you can continue to use CreateSpace during this time.

That's all I get sice my books totally disappeared 12 days ago from CS.

CS dashboard says "Your books are now on KDP". Nice! However I can't link my CS and my KDP account as this message pops up.

So where are my books and how can I access them and how to see sales reports?

I know there are still 2 days to the maximum time it "might take", but seriously, having an empty dashboard for 12 days and not being able to access or link anything at all is super-scary!

Level 0 28 posts since
Feb 13, 2011
6. Dec 10, 2018 9:26 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Thus far we've tried three print books with KDP. One with a KDP Print ISBN. That one worked fine.

One that was in draft form with CreateSpace. We asked CS to delete the title from our dashboard and release the ISBN. We got that one loaded and launched with KDP Print. No problem.

The third is a mess. We followed the same process and requested the title be removed from our CS dashboard and the ISBN released. CS did their part, but KPD Print never would accept the ISBN, even though the title had not released and worked fine in CS. We issued a new ISBN and published the title. 5 days later it still shows on Amazon as "Currently Unavailable." https://www.amazon.com/dp/1946016993/

KDP Print seems reluctant to address these issues or even acknowldge that we've opened a ticket. I'll miss the CD customer service. At least they gave the impression they cared.

Crossing my fingers and bending my knees in hopes and prayer that we get through December before CS kicks us to the curb.

Level 5 5,668 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
7. Dec 11, 2018 4:27 AM in response to: TheDesignHouse

TheDesignHouse wrote:

CS dashboard says "Your books are now on KDP". Nice! However I can't link my CS and my KDP account as this message pops up.

If your books were moved to KDP Print, then you need to log into KDP to see them. There is no linking of the CS and KDP accounts or Dashboards. CS is going away; it willl only be KDP after that: https://kdp.amazon.com.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
https://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 4 1,076 posts since
Sep 4, 2008
8. Dec 11, 2018 4:39 AM in response to: Seisa

Didn't mean to say "link". Meant "migrate" or "access".

Getting a pop-up saying can't be done right now as they are manually moving and it could take up to 2 weeks. They would send an email once done. Did not happen, and the pop up is still showing the same.

Same happens with my friend's account.

My KDP account shows a notification that I have books on CS. Clicking the link there to bring them over brings up the same pop up.

I've now sent an email to KDTP support. Let's see if they solve it.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...