Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
5,304 Views 8 Replies Last post: Sep 14, 2010 3:50 AM by shyanne RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Aug 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2010 5:59 AM

IMPRINT NAME- what is this?

I would be grateful if someone could explain what an "imprint name" is. I have purchased my own ISBN for a book from the Bowker's site, and would like to know what needs to be entered for "imprint name" on the CreateSpace site.

Thanks to all.

Steve

Level 5 9,269 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Aug 27, 2010 7:40 AM in response to: stcp
Re: IMPRINT NAME- what is this?

An imprint is the brand or trade name under which you or your publishing company is publishing books.  For example, Collins, Ecco Press, Harper & Row, Reagan Press, and Zondervan are all imprints of HarperCollins publishing.  For most self-publishing authors who assign their own ISBNs, the imprint name is the same as the name of the author's publishing company (or simply the author's name if no separate publishing company exists).

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
2. Aug 27, 2010 7:47 AM in response to: stcp

What name have you given bowker? When I purchased my UK ISBNs I gave them an 'imprint name'.

Level 3 528 posts since
Oct 12, 2008
3. Aug 27, 2010 9:30 AM in response to: stcp

The imprint name is most likely the name of the publishing company that you used to obtain your ISBN from Bowker.

Imprint is an organizational and marketing term; many publishing houses market books through several division. For example, KidPub Press has an imprint called Teen Author that we use to publish books by authors who are in their teens, and we use the KidPub Press imprint for our younger authors.

Perry

KidPub Press

Level 0 79 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
4. Sep 13, 2010 4:59 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Question on changing the publishers name.

When I first started this project I thought it was a good idea to use my business name (had it for 15 years) in the new publishing business.  No problem till now and I think everyone who looks at this book, espcially ones I've done business with over the years, will know it's self published.  It's not a secret but on the other hand, I now wish I'd set up a different name as a self-publisher.  I have my ISBN, anyone had any experince changing the name of the publishing company or is it simply setting up the new name and everything from here on going through that name?

Thanks.

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
5. Sep 13, 2010 5:16 PM in response to: shyanne

ISBNs serve two purposes:

1. to identify the book

2. to identify the publisher

If you want to republish your titles under your new imprint name, you will need to either purchase new ISBNs, or you might be able to set up the new name in Bowker as  an imprint of your parent company. For example, Puffin Books is an imprint of the Penguin Group publishing company. So, if I understand this correctly, Penguin Group can own all the ISBNs, and issue them to the various imprints within their company.

Michelle

_______

http://www.odysseybooks.com.au

Level 0 79 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
6. Sep 13, 2010 5:49 PM in response to: lipmag

That's a thought.  Thanks.  I do have one subsidary under my main name already.  

Level 5 9,269 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
7. Sep 13, 2010 10:18 PM in response to: shyanne

shyanne, you can update any of the publisher info in your Bowker account, including your company name -- plus you can add a (publishing) division to your existing main/parent company and/or create a new imprint name (I've done both).

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Level 0 79 posts since
Apr 7, 2010
8. Sep 14, 2010 3:50 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

I knew I could update the information in Bowker, guess I was thinking a name change would involve more than correcting the information. I'll do some checking this morning.  I'd really like this book to have a different publisher name so all three would be consistent. I hate to buy another ISBN for this book - though I did only buy one - right now I'm thinking why would I do this again?  I knew this would be a "shakedown cruise", didn't realize how naive I was.  The book covers the same information as my classes but it feels like I'm having to start from scratch. It's harder than I thought to go from a class where people could ask questions or I could add additional information where needed to putting it all down in a final form.  Of course it would have been much easier if I'd gone through the publishing process once with something else to learn the ropes.

Thanks for answering.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...