Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
19,313 Views 13 Replies Last post: Oct 16, 2010 11:49 PM by Highdefshow RSS
Level 1 152 posts since
Oct 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2008 5:31 PM

Children Book Illustrators

Has anyone had experince with a childrens book illustrator?

I have a picture book now under illustration by a local talented artist who loved my story.  She is doing this for part of the royalities and 15.00 per illustration. 

Is the the norm for illustrators?

She mentioned something about a 60/30 share of royalities, but, thinking about this...althought my story will be in print my profit would be very small.

On a 32 page book, color illustrated what would I charge for the book?

Any suggestions from anyone who has published a illustrated childrens book would be appreciated, especially if someone else did your illustrating.

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
1. Nov 16, 2008 9:07 PM in response to: JunieBugD
Re: Children Book Illustrators

I think that is a too high price.

Normally illustrators work for a 100- 200$ total illustration work with their name in the book.

Only very good illustrators are given a royalty, and mostly if it is a comics.

Maybe for next book you should hire a new illustrator instead with new terms and conditions..

www.wickedsunny.com

Level 5 11,787 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Nov 16, 2008 9:24 PM in response to: Wicked

That might be a high price in India, but in Western countries that is a bargain!

Each illustration may take several hours to complete, and many artists/designers will charge between $35-75 per hour (these are average rates in Australia).

Level 0 22 posts since
Jun 24, 2008
3. Nov 16, 2008 9:49 PM in response to: JunieBugD

I'm not sure, but if you ever have another book, I'd be willing to do it for a reasonable rate. I have a graphics art section and stock art section on this site... COLOR ILLUSTRATED CHILDREN BOOKS www.photo-scenix

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
4. Nov 17, 2008 6:24 AM in response to: JunieBugD

I think your friend is offering you a bargain.  I presume they're not a "known" artist, and are doing this partly for the exposure.  Since most POD books sell fewer than 100 copies, you may both be disappointed, but the exposure could be terrific.

I personally resist arrangements that require tracking and dividing revenues, but that's just me.

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
6. Nov 17, 2008 9:23 AM in response to: JunieBugD

Wow.  Keep on doing what you're doing!  And don't forget me when you're rich and famous, okay?

Level 1 34 posts since
Aug 24, 2008
7. Nov 20, 2008 9:16 AM in response to: JunieBugD

I have a book on amazon called Karate Cat, which is a childrens storybook I illustrated from scratch using photoshop.  Let me tell you, $15 a page is a bargain, I wouldn't charge no less than $50 a page.  A well done page should take 2-3 hours, so if you factor that in at an hourly rate, your friend is doing you a service! Take the deal.  The blog I kept for my book has my illustration work in it, you can check it out at http://cello-man.blogspot.com to get an idea of the illustrations in my book.  If they are near that kind of quality then you need to take that deal!

Level 5 11,787 posts since
May 4, 2008
8. Dec 15, 2008 7:34 PM in response to: JunieBugD

I just found the following information from the Australian Society of Authors website on the minimum rates in the Australian marketplace: (http://www.asauthors.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=ASP0016/ccms.r?pageid=6054)

"Book illustration

The following rates are based on A4 book projects. For 'one-off' or single illustrations, add 20 per cent. Rates can be increased depending on detail required, research involved and conceptual input required. The rates are exclusive of GST.

Roughs

Black and white $55

Colour $82.50

Black and white book illustration

Quarter page or chapter head $190

Half page $300

Full page $400

Double page spread $500

Colour book illustration

Quarter page or chapter head $300

Half page $400

Full page $660

Double page spread $800

Cover $1150"

As independent authors, these rates are prohibitive for most, but I thought I would share this information so you can see what a bargain you're getting. The US may have their own national association that prescribes minimum rates and these will differ due to the differences in currency and cost of living etc.

I also don't know any independent illustrators and designers that charge these rates, but I work for the Aus government in my day job and we certainly do pay these kind of rates for design work. Nice gig if you can get it

Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 11, 2009
9. Feb 12, 2009 1:59 AM in response to: JunieBugD

Hi Everyone,

I am a brand -new person in this forum, therefore would tell my story about my children

book illustrator career, if I have

I am living in Budapest, Hungary, was working in animation over 8 years, and have 2 gemini sons.

Last year a dutch publisher and advertisement company found me by internet, and asked me to create

a children songbook with some famous hungarian folk songs. My cost was $50 per drawing, without any royalty,

and I was the happiest person around the world when I've got that commission. Pictures are very colorful, happy with

some humour in them.

They are on my site: http://www.monikabookillustrator.com/

and also some others of my private work, because since then I can't stop drawing children's illustrations, I became mad about them.

Please, tell me your honest oppinion about my work, because I don't get any feedback from anyone, but my friends say that

the pictures of mine are fabulous, and shouldn't stop at all, but time is going, and am loosing my hope...

Bests for everybody,

Monika Vass

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
10. Feb 12, 2009 9:15 AM in response to: Monika

Monica lovely Illustrations.

You should never give up.

I will contact you for my future books.

Level 0 141 posts since
May 15, 2009
11. Nov 4, 2009 9:46 AM in response to: JunieBugD
Monika I loved your illistrations. I also am writing a children's book. I am working with an illistrator but I was wondering when you create our illistrations how long does it take you to do each one?
Level 0 7 posts since
Sep 28, 2010
12. Oct 16, 2010 8:22 PM in response to: JunieBugD

I am an artist who would love a chance to illustrate someones book.  Being new to the illustration field I would love some feed back from authors on what you think of my art.  My FaceBook art page is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dinas-Art/122555321118719?v=photos&ref=ts

Level 0 3 posts since
Oct 12, 2010
13. Oct 16, 2010 11:49 PM in response to: Monika

Greetings from Seoul, South Korea.

Your illustrations are great !

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...