This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
7,715 Views 13 Replies Last post: May 7, 2011 4:26 PM by CathyOB RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2010 2:10 PM

Matte Finish Covers?

When I originally came here I wanted to put out a book with a matte finish. I just think the glossy books stand out in a weird way with all the glare. Has there been any advancements in getting matte as an option on createspace?

If it's a matter of what the creators want, Are there enough people out here that would like the matte option?

Level 2 173 posts since
Jul 8, 2009
1. Jul 20, 2010 2:12 PM in response to: mikefederali
Re: Matte Finish Covers?

I'd prefer a matte finish option, too.

Level 2 72 posts since
Jul 13, 2009
2. Jul 20, 2010 3:10 PM in response to: tnashatadpole

I would go for a matte finish if CS offered a choice.

http://www.selfpublishwithcreatespace.com

Level 5 11,777 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Jul 20, 2010 3:58 PM in response to: mikefederali

Count me in.

Michelle

_______

http://www.odysseybooks.com.au

Level 2 257 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
4. Jul 20, 2010 6:37 PM in response to: mikefederali

Me too.

Jesse

Level 2 958 posts since
Jan 15, 2010
5. Jul 20, 2010 7:47 PM in response to: mikefederali

Same here. I like the look of matte covers more than gloss; they show the scratches, fingerprints and creases less, not to mention that there wouldn't be the same issues with delamination or cover curl.

Dune

Level 5 14,244 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Jul 22, 2010 5:53 AM in response to: mikefederali

BookSurge did not, originally, do lamination at all.  That meant you got a matte effect.

The question might be, could we order books without lamination?  (Someone in this post suggested that would reduce the curl problem, not necessarily if the laminate were matte, but no laminate could.)

I would like the option.

Walton

12on14 for Build Your Book a free PDF for CS members

One-Off Press featuring Tender Loving Greed,  the Polk award winning exposé on long-term care

Join me on Facebook

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
8. Jul 22, 2010 12:07 PM in response to: mikefederali

My own books that I have bough via Lulu's globalreach (the same as CS's EDC) have a pearle effect cover i.e. slightly raised. This is not a full matt but better than gloss. End usesrs will get these but I can not order them to resell directly from lulu. I would like a matt option but I would also love an embossed version.

Level 5 9,262 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
10. Jul 23, 2010 2:38 PM in response to: mikefederali

For digital lay flat laminate (what Lightning uses, not CS), a roll of matte costs about twice as much as the same size roll of clear/gloss.

Level 0 8 posts since
Sep 21, 2010
11. Oct 31, 2010 4:04 PM in response to: mikefederali

I'm in.  I don't think I saw one book at Borders with a glossy cover.  Bummer we don't even have the option.  Limitations like this keep people away from CS.

Level 0 2 posts since
Oct 14, 2009
12. Jan 3, 2011 10:15 AM in response to: mikefederali

Hey all,

I know this is an older post, but after a year of working with CreateSpace I've seen them make some nice advances as far as their online interface is concerned which tells me they do want to become a better and better service.  However in that time, I have not see their end product become much better.  Specifically their cover production, the biggest issue being the gloss laminate.  But again, I know they want to provide a good service and I've set up a petition here that perhaps CreateSpace will listen to if we bolster it with enough support.  It seems in this forum or perhaps thread they don't care to comment.

If you're for it go and sign it and then send off a personal request.

I love working with CreateSpace thus far. All of my concerns and questions have either been met or thoroughly answered thus far.  I'd just love to see them improve their end product.

Thanks,

Cricket

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 17, 2011
13. May 7, 2011 4:26 PM in response to: CricketDE

Any word on the matte covers at this point? I've already bought interior design at CreateSpace for my novel, but will probably switch to Lightning Source because I can get a matte cover there--even if I have to eat the interior design fee. I signed the petition and sent it out to my self publishing group for them to sign. Thanks for starting it. If CS had matte, there would be no question in my mind. The only reason I'm switching to LS is the matte cover.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...