Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
5,640 Views 5 Replies Last post: Dec 7, 2010 9:58 AM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Jul 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2010 1:46 PM

Trouble Times Three - Ken

can't seem to accomplish page breaks for correct page numbering.  first proof came back with pages not to be numbered ----- they were numbered.  Second proof has the same problem.  chapter pages are printed off center, title page is on the left side as you read.  it's a mess.  I know it has to do with page breaks but I just don't get it.  I'm an old crab and wrote ttt when there were no computers.  I'm still trying.  Can someone help me?

Level 5 18,452 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Dec 6, 2010 1:55 PM in response to: tune
Re: Trouble Times Three - Ken

Take a look at Build Your Book, it's free. It has a section on formatting in Word and in OpenOffice, with instructions and screen prints. What did you work in? What did you use to convert your file to PDF?

If the page numbering looked right in the PDF, it should have printed ok.  So, there is another question: how did the PDFs look?

Sometimes going from Word to PDF can be a problem. But once you have a PDF, unless you've got other problems (fonts not embedded, images the wrong resolution, transparency, etc.) what you see is how CS should print.

You can always contact me, see link below.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation

Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book

Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help

GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 5 12,423 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Dec 6, 2010 2:53 PM in response to: tune

If "it's a mess," it may be difficult to identify and correct the source of the problems within the context of this forum.  However, it might be fairly easy for me (or another professional) to diagnose and fix.  If that's the type of help you're looking for, feel free to click my user name, then click "Send Private Message" in the Actions box and send me a note.  I can tell you up-front what's involved, and you can decide how to proceed from there (no obligation).  Of course, if you have a specific question about your settings or process, I'll be happy to answer that here.  Best wishes.

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
3. Dec 6, 2010 3:14 PM in response to: tune

https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1323 use a free template with your paragraph marks to set your page breaks or go to http://www.lulu.com/tinhorn . They are great tools for formatting.

Ricocrossfre

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 5 12,423 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Dec 7, 2010 9:58 AM in response to: tune

Well, obviously there are some problems, but it's difficult to speculate what they might be from the array of symptoms you've mentioned.  It sounds as if you feel that CS is at least somewhat responsible for problems with the content of the second proof, so you'll probably want to wait until they respond to your inquiry before you do anything else -- then provide an update and go from there.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...