Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
3,724 Views 11 Replies Last post: Dec 8, 2010 2:34 PM by Ricocrossfire RSS
Level 0 45 posts since
Nov 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 8, 2010 11:16 AM

Having problems with mirror margins

So...I thought I had the book all done (formatting wise, page numbers, different odd/even headers, blahblahblah). As I was looking through the final document, I noticed that the first few pages have their margins backward!

Here is how I have the page set up for a 5.5x8.5 book:

Top: 0.75

Bottom: 0.75

Inside: 0.75

Outside: 0.5

Gutter: 0.13

Mirror margins

This should mean that even pages on left, odd on the right, larger margin to the inside for binding (I use 2 page view) SO: page on the left should have the large margin to the right hand side and the page on the right should have the marge margin on the left side...right?!? LOL Does that make sense??

I have my very first page as the Title Page (I have the book title, series name, my name), blank page, copyright page, dedication, blank, first page of chapter 1

The Title page is backward from what it should be, as is the first blank page, copyright page, second blank page.

The ENTIRE rest of the document is correct (again, if I have the darn thing set up the right way!!)

I have do have lots of sections and I tried to do the mirror margins for each section but they never change on those 4 pages!

Can anyone give some insight? Google has been no help at ALL >:(

Level 5 15,842 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Dec 8, 2010 11:38 AM in response to: genejock
Re: Having problems with mirror margins

And we are supposed to glean what program you are using from your description? Well, let's see. Mirror Margins... Section Breaks... Trouble getting things to work write... Must be MSWord. Now, if we only knew what version...

Did you download a copy of Walton's Build Your Book? your answer is probably in there.

Seal

Level 5 12,665 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Dec 8, 2010 12:38 PM in response to: genejock

Your assumption about how Word displays two-up pages is incorrect.  With mirror margins in Print Layout view, Word displays the odd pages on the left and their verso pages (the even page that would be printed on the back) to the right.

The first page of the document (normally the title page) has to be an odd/recto page, same as the first physical page of the book.  The verso of that (displayed to the right) is typically the copyright page.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
4. Dec 8, 2010 12:46 PM in response to: genejock

Your formatting for an 5.5" x 8.5" is wrong. Here are the correct margins. top, bottom, outside is 0.6" mirror margins. Inside margins depend on how many pages you have.

Inside Margins Chart
PagesMinimum Inside Margin
Up to 150.375"
151 to 400.75"
401-600.875"
601+1"

Odd pages are on the left and even are on the right on a two page view. The answer is no, because the pages left and right will have the same gap throughout the book. Pick up a book and measure the gaps between pages. (Inside Margins). A good tool to use is a template from CS.
https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1323 The first page should be your Title, Copyright page next page.

left     Right

1.          2.

3.          4.

5.          6.

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 5 18,909 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Dec 8, 2010 12:52 PM in response to: genejock

Make a PDF . . . this is good practice . . . and view your book there. Under View>Page Display>2 Up, there may be another setting to get to the correct viewing, where page 1 is by itself, then 2-3, 4-5, 6.7 . . .

This will also get you used to making conversions to PDF.

Another thing I've done, if I'm forced to work in Word to format, I'll add a page before the book's first page, so that I can see the spread 2-3, 4-5, 6-7. Just don't forget to remove it later.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation

Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book

Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help

GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Mar 19, 2010
7. Dec 8, 2010 12:58 PM in response to: genejock

No that is incorrect. Inside margin 0.5" and gutter is 0.25" = 0.75"

Rico

Mar 19, 2010
8. Dec 8, 2010 1:04 PM in response to: Ricocrossfire

I just saw the Cs template and it's a bit off. Go to http://lulu.com/tinhorn and download a template from there.

Rico

Mar 19, 2010
9. Dec 8, 2010 2:20 PM in response to: genejock

Looking at your amount of pages I would use these settings 0.5" gutter 0.3" Your almost at 400 pages. Just remember the closer you are to the next threshold add just a bit more for the best page gap.

Rico

Mar 19, 2010
11. Dec 8, 2010 2:34 PM in response to: genejock

I sent you a private message located in your stuff above

Rico

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...