Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
17,100 Views 15 Replies Last post: Dec 24, 2010 4:41 PM by walton RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 6 posts since
May 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 9, 2010 7:39 AM

Problem Uploading PDF File

After getting back my prrof and editing it, I converted it to PDF file and tried to upload new interior file to CS. I keep getting message that it is not a valid PDF file. Spoke with CS  (three weeks ago!) said they are working on this problem. Is any one else having this problem? Any ideas on correcting it. It is a 404 page novel with no pictures.

Level 3 732 posts since
May 10, 2008
1. Dec 9, 2010 8:40 AM in response to: dean1933
Re: Problem Uploading PDF File

You might have made a PDF-A format, and not a PDF-X format.

You may have used document security, making the document inaccessible to the printers.

Ask support for specifics to your problem.

Barb

Level 5 12,761 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Dec 9, 2010 8:52 AM in response to: dean1933

Welcome to the community.

Are you able to upload it to the Preview Gallery?  Try that.  If it doesn't work, then there is something about the file itself that is corrupted or not compliant with any PDF format -- so you might try redistilling it.  If it does work, then make another post indicating that and we can go from there.

Best wishes.

Level 3 732 posts since
May 10, 2008
4. Dec 9, 2010 9:05 AM in response to: dean1933

I would do another PDF according the the helps at Creating a PDF for Print and start over.

Barb

Aug 22, 2008
6. Dec 9, 2010 9:32 AM in response to: dean1933

If you'd like, click the Public Link icon next to that title in your Gallery and copy that URL here (or send it to me via Private Message).  I'll take a look and see if there's an obvious problem.

Aug 22, 2008
8. Dec 9, 2010 10:52 AM in response to: dean1933

It took me three tries to download a version that would open properly (just hung up and clocked the first two times), so I suspect there may be something glitchy about the file itself (not the content).  However there are also a few content problems -- (a) the PDF page size is 8.5x11, while it appears the intended trim size is much smaller, (b) the fonts are not embedded, and (c) there are compressed object streams embedded (although I can't figure out where/why there would be, so maybe that's the glitch with the file).

Was the source file by any chance an extended MS Office format like .docx?  That could be the root cause of the upload problem, but there are still settings issues (page size and font embeddings that need to be addressed by you).  Even if this did upload successfully, it would not be accepted by CS for print.

Hope that gets you on track.  Feel free to follow up again if I can help.  Best wishes.

Aug 22, 2008
10. Dec 9, 2010 12:01 PM in response to: dean1933

I just relayed what I saw in the PDF you placed in the Gallery.  Perhaps it was appending the original PDF with changes that caused the problems (it would explain the compressed object stream).

Ideally, you'd want to correct the source document (adding pages there if necessary) and print/distill the PDF from it.  However, if you have Acrobat and have all the fonts that were used installed on your system, you might be able to simply redistill this with the proper settings and be good to go.

Level 5 15,347 posts since
May 4, 2008
11. Dec 9, 2010 2:20 PM in response to: dean1933

"Invalid PDF" is a commonly reported message recently. It has to do with some upgrades CS have made to the site related to the new title management process.

You need to make sure you have the latest version of Flash installed on your computer, and if that doesn't work, try a different internet browser (making sure it is also the latest version).

Michelle

_______

http://www.odysseybooks.com.au

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 22, 2010
12. Dec 24, 2010 3:15 PM in response to: dean1933

I have for a month trying to figure out how to upload my book from microsoft works.  Can someone help me?  I saved it on microsoft works.  When I try to follow the instructions that createspace gives having a hard time trying to upload it from microsoft works.  I am not a genius or a computer whiz.  Any help anyone can give me would really be appreciated. 
This is the last step that I need to do to complete my setup submissions.

Level 5 7,672 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
13. Dec 24, 2010 3:50 PM in response to: desiree

Welcome.

You must convert your document to PDF before CS will accept it. There are several free PDF programs available. Personally, I use Open Office as it's never let me down. Free download of Open Office. Open your file there and export as PDF.  Check your pages and numbering when done to make sure everything is as it should be.

Also, some of the smaller browsers (such as Crazy Browser) won't upload the file. You have to have Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Good luck! If you need more help, let us know.

Pam

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
14. Dec 24, 2010 4:00 PM in response to: desiree

You mean MS Word?  after formatting you need to convert to a PDF. as Pam just mentioned,

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...