Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,627 Views 3 Replies Last post: May 3, 2017 5:07 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 12, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2017 2:05 AM

Interior margins

The interior margins of my novel are too close to the edge of the page, in other words, too far into the binding.

I've been having a hard time trying to correct this. The document is in Microsoft Word. Any advice?

Level 5 5,222 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. May 3, 2017 2:08 AM in response to: Lowellwriter
Re: Interior margins

You should have Mirror Margins ticked, and then you just increase the number in the Inner Margin.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

New self-publishing forum

Level 5 15,391 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. May 3, 2017 4:54 PM in response to: Lowellwriter

The minimum margins can be found here: https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/InteriorPDF.jsp

I always recommend increasing them a bit, as the minimums can be tight.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Check out the new SPAM-FREE Self-Publishers Forum

Level 5 19,223 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. May 3, 2017 5:07 PM in response to: Lowellwriter

You should print out a few pages, try to have a spread. Trim the pages to size, tape the spread, and look at your pages.  The monitor is not the best way to see things.

I probably use bigger inside margins than most here.  The bind is tight, you lose 0.25" from each page because of it.  I think bigger margins  makes reading easier.  I tend to go from 0.75 - 1.125 depending on the size of the book.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...