Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,920 Views 8 Replies Last post: Nov 3, 2017 12:13 PM by KikayonPub RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
May 9, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2017 1:22 PM

Colleges & Universities

My book is on a political science/sociology topic, perfect for high school or college courses.  Generally, the professor/teacher chooses which books are used for their courses.  How do I identify and reach these "gatekeepers?"

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. May 9, 2017 5:26 PM in response to: HiYoSilver
Re: Colleges & Universities

Professors get free samples from distributors. This might be expensive for you. They often have first-hand knowledge of the authors, too, which might also put you at a disadvantage. I'd start with a list of universities, work through their web pages, and pick out the staff who are the most likely prospects, then email a nice illustrated blurb to them. Otherwise, I might invest in a stand at a local conference.

Level 1 239 posts since
Oct 6, 2014
2. May 11, 2017 9:51 PM in response to: Maaku

How many of us had to buy the textbook written by the professor when we were at university?

Level 0 19 posts since
Apr 7, 2017
3. May 12, 2017 10:03 AM in response to: HiYoSilver

Hi,

I am trying to resolve the same issue (my book is on financial markets), so it may be good to keep exchanging information, or even convince Createspace to have a separate forum for textbooks.

Good luck,

Sid

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
4. May 12, 2017 3:37 PM in response to: a-h-k

Yep.  And a different edition every year so you couldn't buy a used one.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 25, 2010
5. Sep 15, 2017 4:45 PM in response to: HiYoSilver

I am months behind this, so I don't know who will see my response, but I am just now looking into this. I produced, directed and wrote a documentary  from a play I had also produced, etc. about a Cahuilla elder Katherine Siva Saubel. I spent a lot of time looking through University and College web sites to send a sales letter to. I did make some sales, and even given all the work, it was worth it to me. When you are an individual, you are not going to be picked up by a distributor--so you are on your own. Now I have a book that has been published by a small press. Not much help with promotion, and my sales are up and down. Through the Internet, I made the acquaintance of a lovely lady who is an avid reader, had read all my books, and has continually tried to help me some way. She teaches at a Community College. Now that we can say I am a published author, she has taken my latest book to her dean, and I am on her syallabus for this fall. I am going to use this tidbit as an opening for my sales letter. The book I've written has a strong immigrant story--which is why she believed it would be such a great fit for her class.I would love to stay in touch with this thread and let you know how it goes, and vice versa. BTW, my publisher will be getting the lion's share up until I sell X amount. So I am aiming for X!

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 26, 2017
6. Nov 3, 2017 10:24 AM in response to: HiYoSilver

CS HAS A RELATIONSHIP WITH BAKER-TAYLOR WHO DISTRIBUTE ACADEMIC BOOKS. IF I CHOOSE THIS CHANNEL, IS IT POSSIBLE THAT MY BOOK WILL BE SENT TO THE RELEVANT ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS OR GRADUATE PROGRAMS?

Level 5 5,628 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
7. Nov 3, 2017 11:37 AM in response to: WEBSTER1

First of all, WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US?

If you use the free CS ISBN, they will list your book in the Baker & Taylor catalogue. That's it. CreateSpace does no marketing. That's up to you. So if you go this route and want uinversities to know about your book, you'll have to tell them.

Level 3 434 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
8. Nov 3, 2017 12:13 PM in response to: Seisa

Three thoughts (former faculty member).

(1) You could combine the two ideas--interesting sales sheet with blurb, photo, and sample of the contents, and free desk copy--somewhat economically by including a postcard  and an email address to request a free desk copy. That way you'll only send desk copies to instructors who are at least slightly interested.

(2) Making yourself known in the field, if you aren't already, is important. Participating in conferences, preferably as a presenter, will help. Even participating as a rank-and-file attender, if you don't have anything to present, is beneficial. But regional conferences are usually very open to new presenters, the big national ones a bit less so. For conferences, I have used Vistaprint's postcard format to make a sales sheet that is easy to hand out: graphic of the cover on one side, blurb, contact information, and purchase information on the other.

(3) Baker & Taylor is not essential for selling in this market. College and university bookstores will order directly from publishers--which is best for you--or from Ingram.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...