Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
4,682 Views 11 Replies Last post: Jul 2, 2010 4:28 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Feb 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2010 10:52 AM

Image Resolution Problems with PDF from MS Word?

I just had an evaluation of my submitted pdf file in which at least one illustration was described as being at 272 dpi versus 300dpi. The illustration however is intended to be a vector graphic pdf component. When I view my own pdf on my own Mac, I can zoom up to any scale and all edges and text scale perfectly, retaining their sharp edge detail and definition.

How should I interpret the 272 dpi. It seems meaningless if my image isn't rasterized.

Thanks anyone

Level 5 9,261 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Jul 1, 2010 12:07 PM in response to: Salahuddin
Re: Image Resolution Problems with PDF from MS Word?

Welcome to the community. 

To try to help figure out what the issue might be, can you answer four questions -- In what format (file extension) was the vector graphics image, how did you place it in the Word document,  what tool and process did you use to create the PDF, and was all this done on a Mac?

Just FYI, a PDF works with viewer software and with your system's display drivers and anti-aliasing functions to ensure that all the edges and text "scale perfectly" when you zoom in -- but that's not in any way an indicator of how it will print.

More to follow hopefully . . .

Aug 22, 2008
3. Jul 1, 2010 2:54 PM in response to: Salahuddin

As I said, viewing the PDF with zoom doesn't really tell you anything about how it will print in a book.  As for the process you outlined, everything should be fine provided you inserted the image into the Word document (rather than pasting it).  Good luck.

Level 1 36 posts since
Feb 2, 2009
5. Jul 1, 2010 6:50 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Yikes! I'm wondering if I will have a problem with image resolution. Here's what I did.

In HP Photosmart, I resized my jpegs to the size needed to fit my book page via the percentage option.

Then, in Word, I inserted the jpegs so in Word they're at 100%.

In all cases, I was working with multiple files. I did some reworking of the formatting, etc. and copy and pasted from one Word file to another Word file.

After I got all 24 of my files as near perfect as humanly possible, I opened one Final file and inserted each smaller file after a section break, ending with one giant Word file.

I plan to move it into Open Office to use its pdf conversion.

Any opinion as to those jpegs?

Should I go back and insert all 60 jpegs again?

Oh, my, this is dragging on.

Mary

Aug 22, 2008
7. Jul 1, 2010 8:46 PM in response to: MaryinFlorida2

Salahuddin wrote, "If they do have issues, they seem to get specific enough to point out which page numbers have the issues."

Really?  They gave you the page number on which a problem occurred?  If so, that's a new (and sure to be helpful to some) development.

MaryinFlorida2, if the jpeg images you created and inserted into the Word file were sized 100% at 300 dpi, then all of that initial work was fine.  I'm not sure about the subsequent copying and pasting from document to document, as a lot of what happens to image resolution in that case is managed by the way the Office applications and print/display drivers were installed and configured on your system.  As already suggested, I wouldn't start redoing anything unless/until you knew you had a problem.

I have to ask -- is your page layout complete in Word, and if so, why would you move all that to OpenOffice rather converting from Word to PDF?  Seems sort of like making three left turns when just one right turn would get you to the same place faster and more efficiently.

Level 1 36 posts since
Feb 2, 2009
8. Jul 2, 2010 5:57 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

Lighthouse24 and Salahuddin-

Thanks to both of you for your input.

I'm using Word2000. Yeah, I know - dinosaur days - so no built-in pdf conversion as you find with Word2007.

I'm a cheapskate technophobe who hates change. Figure I can use the OO for one purpose and hope the glitches in the transfer aren't unsolveable.

I've been reading these posts for the last several months as I worked, so I know several of you folks are very generous with your time and advice. Nice to meet you!

Mary

Aug 22, 2008
9. Jul 2, 2010 8:00 AM in response to: MaryinFlorida2

If you already have your book pages exactly like you want them in Word, and if you're truly a technophobe, then why not just pay to have the Word doc professionally distilled to PDF, and preflight tested for CS (acceptance guaranteed)?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  You could have a PDF ready to submit to CS in less time than it takes to download, install, and get familiar with OpenOffice, the cost of the conversion is less than the cost of a proof and shipping (it might even save you the cost of several bad proofs), and the resulting PDF would be higher quality and far more reliable for a commercial print environment than what you are considering.  Thanks for any explanation you can offer.

Level 1 36 posts since
Feb 2, 2009
10. Jul 2, 2010 3:33 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Lighthouse24,

You asked, "why not just pay to have the Word doc professionally distilled to PDF, and preflight tested for CS (acceptance guaranteed)?"

Forgive my ignorance - but what the heck is "preflight tested for CS" and who guarantees acceptance?

Are you referring to one of the paid services now offered by Createspace?

I've already spent some time getting familiar with OO, enough that I was able to produce a pdf of portions of the book that needed to be sent to folks for their final approval, as they are quoted. But I knew that a pdf for those purposes might not be the same as a pdf that CS would accept. Hence, my question here and in another discussion about the  OO settings on the pdf menu.

Again, thanks for the helpful advice.

Mary

Aug 22, 2008
11. Jul 2, 2010 4:28 PM in response to: MaryinFlorida2

Thanks for your reply.  CreateSpace doesn't offer a simple Word-to-PDF conversion service, but several small publishing/services firms that participate in this community do (including mine).  CreateSpace, LightningSource, and most other book printers supply profiles to preflight test a PDF (using Adobe Acrobat Pro).  Those tests allow us to identify print problems in advance of file submission -- plus many of us have refined our own versions of those profiles based on problems we've experienced first hand or seen reported here.  So that's how we can guarantee that CS will accept a PDF file that we create.

I can see how new members who haven't read through a lot of the older posts might not be aware of the various professional services that other members here offer in addition to all the free help and information they provide (of course, it's no good if we blatantly pitch our products or services every time we answer a question either -- so making a first-time self-publishing author aware of better options that he/she hadn't considered usually happens through discussions just like this).

Anyway, it sounds like you're satisfied for now with what you're doing, so best wishes.  Thanks again for responding.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...