Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
4,676 Views 13 Replies Last post: Jul 9, 2010 4:56 PM by iamhere RSS
Level 0 18 posts since
Jun 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2010 4:17 PM

Bleed vs full color

I have just had my interior rejected. I submitted the interior and they said that for full bleed, it should be a specific inch away from the margins. This was fixed and resubmitted. Then they said that for full bleed, the images should expand beyond the margins, but since I only have two small pictures, I don't need full bleed. So I changed it to just color. They wrote back to say that full bleed, needs to have specific margins.

The margins which had already been fixed. I am wondering if they review the files each time, or just go by the previous email? Because they did who ever did the review did not even notice that it had been changed from full bleed, to simply color.

Is there a better way to communicate with customer service?

Level 5 14,251 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jul 5, 2010 4:27 PM in response to: iamhere
Re: Bleed vs full color

I'm not sure why you changed the images from B&W to color.  That should have nothing to do with the margins.

Obviously, we have to work with CS and the reviews cannot be computer based . . . someone has to look at something. I'm sure some people overlook some things, others not.  There have to a lots of judgment calls.  I think the problem with CS customer support, at least as far as those review letters go, is that they don't always explain enough, and they can be frustrating.  Hang in there.  There is a reason why the gods invented single malt Scotch, and it's not just for editors.

Walton

12on14 for Build Your Book a free PDF for CS members

One-Off Press featuring Tender Loving Greed,  the Polk award winning exposé on long-term care

Join me on Facebook

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Jul 5, 2010 4:28 PM in response to: iamhere

Are you in the US? You could use their Click-to-Call feature and speak to a live person on the phone...

Before re-uploading any new files or changing any settings in your document, you need to ask them to change your book settings to "no-bleed". Then, check this in your dashboard before you resubmit the files.

Michelle

_______

http://www.odysseybooks.com.au

Level 0 8 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
5. Jul 6, 2010 9:48 PM in response to: iamhere

I've had just as much contradictory info sent to me in the rejection reviews.  They tell me that I need to have an image a certain size so I change the size and resubmit.  Then they tell me that it has to be a certain size but yet have a .75 inch gutter inner gutter and .25 inch outer gutter.  With the size change made to 170 pages of graphic novel images, which is a certain size to begin with, without a bleed, period, I am wondering just what they require.  If they have a template for covers, they should also have a template for interiors so that we know exactly where the images should fall.  I also agree that they need to have a better system for review and not just an automated one.  They sent the review emails to me after midnight, but yet their customer service hours are only until 5pm ET.  Could we please have interior templates?

May 4, 2008
6. Jul 6, 2010 10:31 PM in response to: WillowsGrove

If you download the cover template for your required trim (assuming your book includes bleed) then you can cut the front and back sections away from the template, removing the spine completely, and save as two separate templates. The front cover is your right (recto) page and the back cover becomes the left (verso) page.

If your book doesn't need bleed, then ignore the red sections of the template.

The only thing this method won't help you with is the gutter margin, because this will vary depending on your page count. Drag a Photoshop guide inwards 0.75"; the outer margins are indicated by the blue area. As long as there are no "live elements" in the blue area or your gutter margin, you should have no trouble creating your book this way.

WillowsGrove wrote:

I also agree that they need to have a better system for review and not just an automated one. 

They do: it's called Author Express and costs about $169 each for interior and cover review (https://www.createspace.com/Services/AuthorsExpress.jsp). However, the automated version is free and works for most people prepared to engage in a little trial and error.

Hmmm, I have an unofficial Author Express-like program for much less than CS charges. PM me if you're interested.

Michelle

_______

Level 0 8 posts since
Jul 1, 2010
7. Jul 7, 2010 8:42 AM in response to: lipmag

>>>Drag a Photoshop guide inwards 0.75"; the outer margins are indicated  by the blue area. As long as there are no "live elements" in the blue  area or your gutter margin, you should have no trouble creating your  book this way.

Thanks for the reply, but if I drag the guide inwards by .75" for the inner margin, the outer margin would fall well out of the page size of 5.25", effectively cutting off the outer side of the image when trimmed to size.  The page layout with the bleed would be 5.38 x 8.25, but dragging the guide .75" from the side of the inner margin places the width to nearly 6".

Placing the image dead center of a 5.38 x 8.25 is not workable?

May 4, 2008
8. Jul 7, 2010 6:08 PM in response to: WillowsGrove

The guide does not affect the size of the page, nor does it move the outer margin from its original position -- it is an "imaginary line" that indicates the margin boundary. You can still have your cover image in the margin area, but it must be a full bleed image and you cannot have "live elements" in the margin area.

Placing the image in the centre of the cover might also work, depending on the size of that image. If the image is not full bleed then you must shrink the image to within the margin boundaries. This is where the guides come in to help you.

Michelle

_______

Level 5 13,359 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
10. Jul 8, 2010 9:51 AM in response to: iamhere

Yeah, don't you with they had a "Print the &(&^%# thing ANYWAY button"?

Seal

May 4, 2008
11. Jul 8, 2010 4:31 PM in response to: iamhere

What software did you use to create your cover? Did you flatten all the layers before saving to PDF? Sometimes layers can disappear if they are not rasterised or flattened before converting to PDF. It's weird that they accepted it previously, but I suspect there might be an issue with the cover that was overlooked while the file reviewer focused on your interior issues. It happens.

Michelle

_______

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...