Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
9,175 Views 13 Replies Last post: Mar 14, 2011 7:33 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 3 290 posts since
Jul 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2010 1:33 PM

Hardcover Offer

My book was published a couple of days ago.  This morning, I received this email from CreateSpace:

Thank you for choosing to self-publish your book with CreateSpace!

My name is Abby and I am a Publishing Associate with CreateSpace. I understand from a survey response you recently submitted that you have an interest in making your book available in hardcover. Although not currently listed on our website, we recently began offering a hardcover upgrade service!

For a one-time fee of $199.00, we will convert your book?s paperback files to hardcover. The hardcover book will be setup as a separate title in your account.

The hardcover will not be eligible for any of our distribution channels. It will only be available for you to order through your account, and resell or distribute as you see fit.

The following table outlines the costs per unit of a hardcover book:

Cost per book                      $6.50       

B&W  per page                    $0.015      

Color per page                    $0.150      

Dust Jacket (optional)        $2.00    

Please e-mail or call me if you have an interest in this service. I am happy to answer questions and help you get started!

I'm just on my way out of the office, but I wanted to share this will all of you.

Level 2 597 posts since
Dec 13, 2007
1. Aug 2, 2010 1:27 PM in response to: Starfish
Re: Hardcover Offer

This is likley a consequence of Booksurge merging with Createspace.

Level 5 11,791 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Aug 2, 2010 4:34 PM in response to: Starfish

Hmm interesting.

To price one of my books as an example: (66pp, full colour) CS would charge $16.40 (no dust jacket), whereas Lulu would charge $28.20.

So, if I would need to hand-sell over 17 hardcover copies for the $199 upgrade to pay for itself. It's a shame CS won't offer hardcovers for distribution. I'd also like to know if they use a different quality paper for colour books, because colour is normally $0.07 per page and the hardcover price is $0.15.

Michelle

_______

http://www.odysseybooks.com.au

Level 2 474 posts since
Nov 4, 2008
3. Aug 6, 2010 8:31 PM in response to: Starfish

Umm...$199 seems pretty steep to me. In this case Lulu would be cheaper.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 29, 2010
4. Jan 17, 2011 6:05 PM in response to: Starfish

Can CreateSpace print a Children's Book using your quoted rates? Can the submission for the interior and cover be the same format as a softcover book? Will the flat rate be eliminiated since there is no conversion from soft cover to hard cover?

Level 0 14 posts since
Aug 22, 2009
5. Jan 21, 2011 9:02 AM in response to: Starfish

Without the Amazon distribution, $199 is probably not worth it. I did my hard cover book from LSI -just received my proof. For 6.14x9.21 size, cost me $6 unit cost (no dust jacket), $0.013 per page. My upfront is only $35+$35 for uploading the interior+cover files.

i dont understand why Createspace does not distribute hardbacks if they can print it?

Has anyone seen a hardback from Createspace before-wonder how is the quality of the cover?

Max Wong

---------------------------

Check out my cover/resource: http://bubble-value-at-risk.com/making_of_cover.html

Level 0 12 posts since
Feb 7, 2011
6. Feb 7, 2011 5:28 AM in response to: McyW

Be careful with these sort of offer, usually covers are created from templates and authors have very little input on them. Hiring a designer like myself is not as expansive as people seems to think. If I can help, email/PM me, I currently have offers on book covers... my website is: www.cutayar.com

Kind regards,

antoine.

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
7. Mar 14, 2011 5:57 PM in response to: cutayar

This hardback option:

• Author pays an upfront fee.
  • Author pays a per-copy fee.
  • Author is solely responsible for sales and marketing.

Isn't this called vanity publishing?

May 4, 2008
8. Mar 14, 2011 6:27 PM in response to: Maaku

CS in general could be considered vanity publishing. Most people like to call it self-publishing. Either way, same rules apply:

- Author can pay a fee to have books professionally edited and formatted (optional with CS, not so with other providers)

- Author pays a per-copy fee, either for paperback or hard cover

- Author is solely responsible for marketing of their paperback & hard cover books.

If you want a better definition of vanity publishing, you could look at it as paying for all of the above, but you are getting someone else's publisher label slapped on your book instead of your own.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Oct 27, 2010
9. Mar 14, 2011 6:54 PM in response to: lipmag

The big difference is that CS includes listing with Amazon (and other sites as an option). It may not cost them much, if anything, but in my opinion that single aspect of the CS deal is what sets it apart from traditional vanity publishing, and makes it a much better proposition. And, as you have pointed out yourself, the distribution, invoicing and sundry other processes are all taken care of by CS/Amazon.

Level 4 960 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
10. Mar 14, 2011 6:58 PM in response to: Maaku

Vanity publishers can charge you thousands of dollars, and require you to purchase a large quantity of books. CreateSpace is a printer that allows you to be your own publisher.

Cheers,
Steve

--
www.bookow.com -- painless book formatting, covers, editing

Oct 27, 2010
11. Mar 14, 2011 7:09 PM in response to: stevoz

Indeed. And we may quibble over the dollars and cents until the cows come home. I can, for example, get a hard-bound copy of a book hand-made at one of the local academic bookbinders far more economically than I can get one copy through CS. The comparative unit costs would only become higher once the run exceeded about 10 copies. None of which alters the fact that the hardback option, as  currently presented by CS, is closer to vanity publishing than anything else. Were they to make hardback books available through their channels, just as they do with paperbacks, my opinion would change.

May 4, 2008
12. Mar 14, 2011 7:28 PM in response to: Maaku

I publish hard cover books (with full distribution) through Lightning Source, which as you may know is the print partner for EDC. Theoretically through this partnership, CS could offer hard covers as an EDC option to CS members. However, designing a jacket for a hard cover book is much tricker than designing for a paperback cover, and would mean that this option is not ideal for many DIY authors. Given that publishers also have to pay revision fees with Lightning Source every time they upload new files, it's not ideal for authors who want to learn by trial and error. LSI only want to work with experienced publishers, not newbie self-published authors, and this is the reason I think that CS can't/won't offer hard covers for distribution.

If you want a hard cover POD service that also handles online sales, check out Unibook, Blurb and Lulu. Not all will get you on Amazon, but it does mean you can sell in hardcover format without needing your own inventory.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Oct 27, 2010
13. Mar 14, 2011 7:33 PM in response to: lipmag

Yes, I would quite like hardback versions of my own books, but when I think about the sheer weight of books at my place, maybe it is better if I stick to the paperbacks. I don't mind bookshelves sagging, but when floor joists start to do the same, it gets serious!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...